Finish not so good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finish not so good...

OK, all our paint gurus, anyone care to comment as to why this might have happened....

I will get the info on what was used

this is for a buddy on another site...

he did all the prep work, sanding, and what not and then shot the paint

I think it was a gloss black with the clear in it, but I will find out for sure...

Looks like "blushing",caused by spraying in conditions that are to humid.

Comment

Problem is was not done by a professional LMAO!!!HAHAHA,???!!!!!

Comment

A lot of very beautiful paint jobs were not done by professionals.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think Svsooke may be right. I'm not a paint guru but I had that same look before when it was too humid. I resanded it then resprayed it on a less humid day and it came out fine. I think originally it was like 70% humidity that first day and when it came out like that someone told me it was the humidity so I waited until it was below the manufacturers recommend maximum. Good luck.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

more information....

I've posted a pic of the can. It is a gloss black lacquer paint. No clear was used. I had planned on knocking down the gloss after it cured and go with 2K (2 part in a can) clear. I never got that far. I had used this same paint in the summer (higher humidity and temps) without incident.

It wasn't at the recommended temp in my garage at the time. It was cool.

The can that I used to paint the fenders with, was at room temp and shaken well. The fenders look like they oxidized. It did wipe off a little with the grease from my hand. I didn't try to remove it all yet.

The 2 different cans that I had used to cover the tank were shaken well, and much warmer than room temp. I had put them in hot water for a few mins to raise the pressure and warm the paint somewhat.

I've knocked down the gloss from the tank, but realized I didn't have enough black down. I sanded into the primer layer slightly. Really, I need base coat in a can. I'll be covering it with 2K clear eventually.

I really think it had something to do with the temp. Like I said, it went down fine in the summer using my same techniques.

Hopefully, this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Looks like "blushing",caused by spraying in conditions that are to humid.
              +1 on that I have had lacquer paint do the same thing on a humid day

Comment

I had a similar problem. I used the Plasticote on my tank, with a clear coat on top. However the clear coat always jelled a little. It was not humid, but I am still not happy with it. Tried 2 different cans, same result. Tried buffing it with wax, but it is still not right. The clear coat did not come out of the can in a fine mist, it was always a little thick, even though I shook the cans for a long time. There was no blushing, but there is a slight orange peel finish. When the weather warms up I am going to try sanding it and re-coating the tank but am reluctant to try the Plasticote clear cote again. Does anyone know of a better clear coat product?

Comment

If that's the paint you used it's a base coat and needs a clear coat to make it glossy.Phred you can get 2K clear in a spray can,much better than the Plasti-Kote clear.For best results you will still need to wet sand and polish.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    If that's the paint you used it's a base coat and needs a clear coat to make it glossy.Phred you can get 2K clear in a spray can,much better than the Plasti-Kote clear.For best results you will still need to wet sand and polish.
                    +1, the 2K is actually a two part urethane paint made for automotive purposes.
                    Good stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Agree with the others that it looks like blushing. Happens when it's cold out. Lacquer needs to be polished to get a nice gloss too. I'd try that and shoot another layer as needed. Lacquer can be recoated again and again. Very forgiving stuff.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You actually NEED to recoat lacquer,multiple times.Not even sure how many coats are on either the 750's or 1000's bodywork but the more you do the better it looks.Just one coat looks bad,sanding between coats is defiantly a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X