Hello! GS750 here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! GS750 here!

Hey guys! I've been working on my first bike which is a 1977 GS750. The mods I've done so far (with the help of my brother-in-law) have been:

-Painted the tank a silver color
    -Removed the seat and taillight assembly
    -Welded a tail loop for new seat
    -Took off the side covers and windscreen
    -Replaced the stock gauges with a mini speedo/tach
    -Bought a lithium-ion battery that tucks into a custom made enclosure between the shocks
    -Detabbed the frame

Not sure if I'm going to keep the clubman handlebars as I prefer a more upright sitting position. Anyways, the future mods I'm planning to do are:

-Carbs overhaul
    -Spray the frame with high-temp paint
    -Eventually replace stock headlight with LED model (DOT certified!)
    -LED taillight with integrated turn signals
    -Comfy seat!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's all the main stuff. The one thing I did leave out is ELECTRICAL! I've already checked out BassCliff's site which has a TON of info. The wiring harness that the bike had was in pretty bad shape so I'm going to be making one from scratch. I have absolutely no experience at all with wiring but I have the manual and I'll be taking my time. What I'd like to know is if I should reference the wiring diagram when making the new harness and leave the parts out that I won't be using or should I ignore it completely since it'll be from scratch? If anybody could point me in the right direction in the forums for this, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum!

Since you're building the electrics from scratch, you might consider the fuse block Steve recommends from Eastern Beaver (I'm sure he'll be along shortly with a link), or possibly use Posplayer's SolidState Power Box, which takes care of all kinds of business for you, including automatically resetting fuseless circuit protection and all the relay mods. Also, look for a series voltage regulator. Steve should have a link handy for that too, at about $70.

A solid wiring harness from a later model (with unified rectifier/regulator) might be a good starting point, if you don't want to start from scratch.

Does the bike already have Dyna electronic ignition, or does it still have the original points?

For the LED headlight, I can heartily recommend the TruckLite generation 7 LED lamp. It's a drop-in replacement in a standard 7" bucket, and the illumination is fabulous.

If you're not going to sit behind a large fairing, you'll still want to lean forward some. A lot of people like Daytona bars, but I like the somewhat straighter euro bend or GP touring bars.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I prefer starting from scratch with the wiring to avoid any potential repairs/headaches that could come with a used harness.

"Does the bike already have Dyna electronic ignition, or does it still have the original points?" Hmmmm, if you're referring to whether or not it has electric start, then yes. Before disassembling the bike (and harness), the bike started up not problem with the electric start. I'm not sure what you mean with the original points though.

Concerning the LED headlight, that is exactly the one I've been looking at. As for the handlebars, I was looking at some supermoto type bars. Similar to in position to these two:

Comment

Working...
      X