Bought my first motorcycle yesterday, 1980 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my first motorcycle yesterday, 1980 GS550

Just would like to say hello, and that I am looking forward to researching the information available here. I've been buying, restoring, and selling vintage mopeds (mostly puch) for the last 3-4 years. Very much looking forward to improving my riding ability and mechanical know-how through exploring the world of 4 stroke, manual transmission motorcycles (all my experience thus far has been with small, automatic 2 stroke engines.) I saw this bike on Craigslist about a week ago listed for $1000, so I met the owner and after going over everything I was able to buy it for $800 after all was said and done. Although it has about 35,000 miles on it, it just had inspection in March and given a clean bill of health. He also had a bunch of maintenance records and service receipts that came with it, as well as a box of extra parts. Sooooo, next on the list is learn how to ride it and get my motorcycle license...

TL;DR : I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but am already very much in love with my GS550

Nice looking bike. Looks well maintained. You will have a lot of fun on this one.

Comment

Welcome aboard!
      Nice buy and a wise choice for your first motorcycle.

Comment

Looks greats. I too am into vintage moped. Currently got an express I'm stretching for my daughter. Have fun with your new bike

Comment

Nice looking bike...Welcome to the world of valves and cams....I occasionally visit yours small scale, when I take a little jaunt on my scooter. A guy near me has an old school moped with an aftermarket expansion chamber. It sounds way cool. Enjoy
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Great find and welcome. You'll love this bike. My sons and I "share" a 78 GS550, along with a few other bikes. Lots of fun. Ride it every chance you get!
            sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
            1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
            1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
            1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
            1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
            1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
            1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
            1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Welcome to the site, straubzilla.
              Nice looking bike. It is always great when the PO has kept receipts and has the maintenance history.
              To make sure you can ride your new bike safely, a good idea would be to sign up for a MSF course.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Nice looking bike. It is always great when the PO has kept receipts and has the maintenance history.
                To make sure you can ride your new bike safely, a good idea would be to sign up for a MSF course.
                What he said. A good PO is a rare and wonderful thing.

I'd still check his work on a few things like valves, brake fluid, wheel bearings.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi Straubzilla,
                  Welcome to the forum. Very nice bike, looks in excellent condition .
                  If you don't have the original owner's manual, a Haynes or Clymer is a good book to have in the shop .
                  Check out your local GS rider's group.
                  Post any qestions you might have in the appropriate section, we'll be glad to help.
                  McLoud
                  '79 GS850
                  `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                  sigpic
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Woo! Another '80 550! This forum is amazing. I'm glad you found it (and the bike too!).

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Two things went through my mind when I read your post. Three, actually. Welcome to the GSR, NICE 1st bike and do yourself and your loved ones a favor by taking the MSF course. Everyone I know who has taken it was glad they did and continue to recommend it to friends.
                      After checking the routine things (ie. valves, etc.), I suggest that you perform the coil relay mod.
                      Stay in touch and good luck.
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Very nice! That is a great buy! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

welcome good bunch on here

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome! A friend of mine (well qualified) is about to give me my first lesson in about an hour. I do plan on taking a riding/safety course, after at least getting the hang of things in the long dirt alley behind my house.

Comment

Sweet Ride

Originally posted by straubzilla View Post
                              Just would like to say hello, and that I am looking forward to researching the information available here. I've been buying, restoring, and selling vintage mopeds (mostly puch) for the last 3-4 years. Very much looking forward to improving my riding ability and mechanical know-how through exploring the world of 4 stroke, manual transmission motorcycles (all my experience thus far has been with small, automatic 2 stroke engines.) I saw this bike on Craigslist about a week ago listed for $1000, so I met the owner and after going over everything I was able to buy it for $800 after all was said and done. Although it has about 35,000 miles on it, it just had inspection in March and given a clean bill of health. He also had a bunch of maintenance records and service receipts that came with it, as well as a box of extra parts. Sooooo, next on the list is learn how to ride it and get my motorcycle license...

TL;DR : I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but am already very much in love with my GS550

Beautiful bike! Welcome and enjoy all that is the GSR.

Definitely take care of that MSF course. I can't believe it's been since Sep/2011 that I took mine. Time flies when you're gaining confidence on a motorcycle.

Enjoy your way around here...stay busy with your bike and when the time comes, take a peak at OT...well, maybe you should just concentrate on the bike for now.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X