Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS 850 Owner

Hi,
    I've just purchased a 1980 model GS 850G which has been laid up for 15 years or so, 12000 miles on the clock, it is original except for a 4-1 exhaust, the bike is not running at the moment and the guy that I've bought it from has had a look at the carbs but couldn't get it running, it spins freely off the starter so I suspect the carbs still need to be properly cleaned, I don't get it home until next week as I've still to arrange transport but looking forward to restoring this bike
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM.

Welcome! Be sure to post some picture when you get the bike.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by clantosh View Post
      Hi,
      I've just purchased a 2000 model GS 850G which has been laid up for 15 years or so, 12000 miles on the clock, it is original except for a 4-1 exhaust, the bike is not running at the moment and the guy that I've bought it from has had a look at the carbs but couldn't get it running, it spins freely off the starter so I suspect the carbs still need to be properly cleaned, I don't get it home until next week as I've still to arrange transport but looking forward to restoring this bike
      Welcome to GSR!

Maybe you mean the bike was last registered or used in 2000 and then laid up till now (14 years)?

These bikes were only made until early-mid 80's.

Anyway, you have found the best source of information and help on these great bikes, so settle in and do some reading here so long until you get it home.

Enjoy the journey!
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Schoolboy error or senior moment?

I meant a '1980' model not 2000! thanks for pointing out my error!!

Comment

Welcome!!

These guys on here are a great source of knowledge and can help you answer any questions you may have!! Lord knows they have helped me a lot, without them my bike would of never awoke from the dead.

Keep on Wrenchin'
          Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
            Maybe you mean the bike was last registered or used in 2000 and then laid up till now (14 years)?
            Oh my god...2000 was 14 years ago?

Comment

She will live again!

This site, along with BassCliff's site will help you get her going again. I just went through the same ordeal with an 82 850 that had been sitting since 99. Rode it about 50 miles yesterday, and performed flawlessly.

Don't try to shortcut anything on the carb rebuild, adjust your valves, and give the electricals a thorough going over. Most of all, don't be shy about asking questions if you run into problems. Great bunch of guys and gals here!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nice to see another UK member, all the best with the bike, as stated put some pics up

Comment

Thanks folks for the welcomes, will post some pics when I get the bike home, hopefully at the weekend, currently sorting out a 96 Fireblade so the GS will be next up on the bench!

Comment

She has arrived!

Well my new acquisition has arrived in all her glory! Pics on my album. She requires a lot of attention and some new bits and pieces, will look to get started on her later on in the year as I'm going to the Isle of Man for the TT next week and also a few other events to attend when the weather allows......this is Scotland after all, so looking forward to the challenge! Hopefully some assistance from you guys on the GS Resources

Comment

Which part of Scotland?

Some excellent riding there.

Have fun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bike looks really nice . Am I reading the mileage right at 12 K. Not bad. IOM sounds nice. Do you make it to any other road races. Northwest 200 or the UGP? Welcome!

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Handsome bike! Looks like a great project. Did it come with the case saver for the left?

Comment

Thanks folks

I'm from a village called 'Crook of Devon' near Kinross, approximately 20 miles from Edinburgh, yes the mileage is correct at 12K and it did come with a spare case saver or crash bar as we call them here, some fantastic rides around this area. Yea I only stay 5 miles from Knockhill race circuit, I've been to the TT every year since 2001, previous to that I used to visit the North West 200, Assen for the Dutch TT is also awesome. You guys on the other side of the pond have some excellent roads too, I'm coming to Boston in September and hiring a bike for a week to visit New England so some tips on good roads and places to visit would be welcome, I've been told Acacia National Park is a must visit place.

Comment

Working...
                            X