Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 1983 .This is a serious question

I finally got to ride my new to me 850.
    I only got in about 25 miles ...it was 40 here today ..

But I really want to know What is going on when I hit around 5500 rpms...?

It feels like a 4 barrell carb just kicked in ...
    the bike takes off and ...zooomm...

So someone please explain this to me ..seriously. ..

I just want to know
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Because you are entering the part of the RPM band where all the horsepower is made.

Try riding some sweeping country roads without dropping RPM below 6500, it's like having a whole different bike.

Comment

Maybe one of the pilot jets is plugged up or there is a spark problem, and one of the cylinders only fires at high rpm? Or maybe it's just the cammy nature of the engine as tank alludes.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Entirely normal on the 850. Don't know why. Shape of the needles?
        Last edited by Dogma; 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Maybe one of the pilot jets is plugged up or there is a spark problem, and one of the cylinders only fires at high rpm? Or maybe it's just the cammy nature of the engine as tank alludes.

This is most likely 850s are weak on mid range power, but yours sounds like the pilot circuit isn't working correctly
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for the early replies....
            Just to be sure to stay on track ...
            I personally rebuilt the carbs ...I have done 6 sets of carbs in the past year from GS to CX to Goldwing and I know these are correctly set ..
            Also .one of the better known GS advisors also checked over and tuned them ..
            So I really think it is not carbs...

still ...my question remains ....

My son rode the bike and he said it was smoother than anything he has ridden and then the HP comes on with brute force....his "feeling" ...

Still welcoming thoughts and conversation...

Soon I will make a video of it ..but we are facing 4 days of rain next

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Sounds like a typical 850 that is running well...........
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

the brute force feeling is fun with my 650 =]

Comment

I don't know that anyone has fully explained exactly why it happens, we just enjoy it when it does.

You are correct, it does feel like a four-barrel carb kicking in, or variable valve timing on some of the newer cars, but we all know that none of those things were available on our 850s.

Dogma asked if it was the shape of the needles. Shape? What shape? The stock 850 needles start at 3.0mm right under the clip. Down at the tip, I have seen either 2.6 or 2.7mm. Not much of a taper, and it is consistent all the way down, so I don't think that's it.

Nessism and 850 Combat both though it might be a faulty pilot circuit. If that's it, then it has been that "problem" on EVERY 850 that I have ridden.

It's just the nature of the beast. Now get those Frogg Toggs on and go for a ride.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As has been said before, just an average/good running GS850G.

Comment

The cams reach their more effective rev range and coal starts getting shovelled through at a much better rate.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My 750 hits its sweet spot on the cams around 4,800 rpm and pulls nicely up to 8,000 in 4th. Gotta keep that power band up there in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th gear on my 750 is more for open stretches of hiway, not very useful in mountain twisties.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Some startling observations

Just to add more observations to the conversations...

1) 70 MPH in 2nd gear ...
                          2) 60 to 80 MPH in a blink ....

(This is going to be a fun ride! - Com'on Summer)

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Yep, dey all do dat. And it's a lot of fun.

Honestly, I've ridden a few examples of an 1100G/GL and a 1000G/GL, and the 850 is far more entertaining.

(Turn your sound down almost all the way... I didn't know how to set a level when I uploaded this.)

BWringer on the 1983 GS850G on Indiana Highway 45 on March 20, 2010. First ride of the season!
                            Last edited by bwringer; 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

In cars, we call that "coming on the cam". It is really the shape of the cams, which are tuned for a particular range. I had the pleasure of riding bwringer's 850 a couple of years ago, and the mid-range hit is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X