Bikes to Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikes to Restore

Have a neighbour who has these 2 bikes, not sure what they are worth, and if they are worth the time, money and effort to restore.

I know both ran, and still might, with some TLC, the BMW was a daily commuter for the owner, the other bike I am not so sure what the history is...

He was going to restore but decided to not to....

What are they worth to pickup, I know it's hard to give a figure but lets assume they each run, and go from there....I don't know the year of the red bike, but the BMW might be an 83-85 some where in there

any info would be appreciated

might be something I grab to do as a winter project....

interesting info on the BMW

PRICING

The original R65LS cost $400 more than the R65 in 1982, at $3995. Used prices depend heavily on location. In San Francisco, a high-priced area where R65LSs are popular, a nice one with low miles will go for over $3000. With medium to high miles, $2500 is typical. R65LSs can sometimes be had for less than $2000 in winter climate areas.

Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

The CB 350 appears to be a 1973 model, the last year it was produced.
      I suggest looking here for more information.

Comment

I'd be tempted to restore the CB350 to original - all the hipsters have grabbed most of them and cut them up to make half-assed cafe brat ****boxes so a nice restored example should now have some value.

And the Beemer would be nice to get running as is too - they are pretty reliable as daily riders.

Sorry - no idea on what they'd be worth.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Wow - it censored sh*tboxes
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

CB350 with drum brake marks it as an early model no? Cool bike regardless. They vibrate a fair bit but make a nice city runabout. Yes, the idiot brat thrasher crowd have destroyed bikes like that in droves so a stock restore would be highly desireable.

The BMW is a basic commuter, at least as far as BMW's are concern. Not a whole lot of charisma going on there, but I'm sure it's a very serviceable bike.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              The CB 350 appears to be a 1973 model, the last year it was produced.
              I suggest looking here for more information.
              Thanks....will bookmark it for future reference if need be...

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
              Wow - it censored sh*tboxes
              you just got know how to spell it, $hitBoxes......LOL

I amnot sure on the value of either, but the owner mentioned something about wanting 200 bucks for the BMW, and he might throw in the Honda,,,for free....

I would rather do up the BMW and flip it, Ihaveno big interest in the Honda, and it would take up room in my garage....as it is now taking up room in his.....biggest reason he wwants to get rid of the bikes...

Comment

I would be all over that 350 like flies on a putrid road side rest area outhouse.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  CB350 with drum brake marks it as an early model no? Cool bike regardless. They vibrate a fair bit but make a nice city runabout. Yes, the idiot brat thrasher crowd have destroyed bikes like that in droves so a stock restore would be highly desireable.

The BMW is a basic commuter, at least as far as BMW's are concern. Not a whole lot of charisma going on there, but I'm sure it's a very serviceable bike.
                  And here I thought the BMW would be more sought after and one to restore.....well at least for me it was the one I was more interested in....

Maybe I can make more on the Honda....and it's smaller....LOL

Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'd grab them both, if the price was right and I had storage space. Take it slow, find parts bikes or whatever you need rather than going fast and paying top dollar for every little piece.. They are both nice bikes to ride, had a ton of fun on quite a few Honda 350s back in the day, Beemers are all cool in their own strange way.

Niether one is worth enough that it will be profitable to do a whole hog restore and make any money. But just to tinker with, scrounge up some parts here and there, ride it for a while, and sell it on for a bit more than you put into it that should be doable.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The CB 350 is a highly desirable bike among those that like them. IIRC, it never came with a front disc brake. Its replacement, the CB 360, eventually came with a front disc.

Comment

The BMW seems to be in better shape, I think he took care of it more, it even has a tank cover from what I can see, so it might just need some polishing up, a good hose down, some new Orings and rubbers of some sort and it might be good to go, he is the type of guy to take care of the stuff he has....

I don't know how he got the Honda or why, he might have picked it up to restore, or had it for a while and just lost interest after he got the BMW, but it seems to be in rougher shape cosmetically, so it would take a lot more time to get all dolled up....

Well I will have to talk to him some more, and maybe a few more pictures, I took those ones while he went in to grab a few beers, we were doing some yard work...LOL

I would take both, but I am running out of room...at the moment, maybe it clears up by winter.....

thaks for all the responses so far.....

Comment

I would be on the Beemer in a minute. Around here if it runs it is a $2k bike all day
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

'73 CB350 came with a disc front so that one is probably a '71 or '72.
                            My neighbours never have anything interesting in the garage.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If you can get the Beemer for $200 do it. The LS 650 is a rather rare model designed by Hans Muth.He did the 82-3 Katana.

Comment

Working...
                              X