Getting a 1996 HD Sportster on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a 1996 HD Sportster on the road

Anyone here also work on Sportsters? I am going to do a minor service on a lady neighbors 1996 Sportster that has been idle for 2 seasons. Oil change, plugs (if needed), primary lube, new battery, bleed the brakes and general polish.

Anything in particular I should be aware of? Had a Buell XB9R before so I am a bit versed on the engine, but it has been a while.

Thanks-

Allen

Should be pretty straightforward.

One detail is that I would insist on installing a sealed battery (AGM, gel, whatever). Not sure what these bikes came with stock, but there's no excuse nowadays for installing a cheap wet battery from Walmart and letting it puke acid all over your frame. Besides, cheap wet batteries can't take the vibration for long.

The bike is also at the age where it's worth taking a close look at all the electrical connections. A half hour spent with tube of dielectric grease will head off problems for years to come.

Sounds like fun!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Was really fun working on the Sportster.

If you ever want to appreciate Japanese engineering work on a old(er) HD

Oh, and if you think your GS is slow and steers like a truck, again, go ride a low Sportster.

Comment

Hmm, I wouldn't know. Never had to work on mine but I cant see it being much different. Maybe less stripped threads and busted bolts.
        Oh, and A SAE fittings instead of metric a few less cylinders and a whole lot less carbs, and no sync'n.
        Come to think of it, seems like it might be much easier to work on a (carbed) HD than a GS.

Glad you had fun!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Don't forget to NOT adjust the valves
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How about some pics?

Been in love with Sportsters for four decades, but after owning a Kaw Z1, I felt I probably wouldn't be satisfied with 40 hp.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              How about some pics?

Been in love with Sportsters for four decades, but after owning a Kaw Z1, I felt I probably wouldn't be satisfied with 40 hp.
              so the extra 30 hp from the Z1 made the difference

Comment

Drop and clean the fuel bowl is the only thing that comes to mind.

Don't forget this web site if you want to make some power http://xlforum.net/
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  How about some pics?

No pics, it is my (female and 62!) neighbors bike that I helped get back on the road.

Was not trying to knock the bike, but being a '96 I was a bit surprised at some of the old tech that was still on it. Cast frame junctions, Farm&Fleet quality fasteners and the way oil is drained from the "bag" comes to mind. Neat bike though.

HD at one time used to race these in the AMA Twin Sports series and I loved watching them. Making a street rep is still on my bucket list.

Comment

XR-750 - loved it. And love the XR-1200 they discontinued a few years ago.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                    X