Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Virginia

Hello from Virginia

I'm a 49 year old Locomotive Engineer from Culpeper Virginia. Originally from Wales in the UK and have been living in the States for 14 years now.I have 2 GS750's, one which I just got running right today. It's a 1978 GS750C

It had a small oil leak which turned out to be one of the half moon cam end seals. While I had it opened up I checked the valve clearances and changed 1 shim. Seems I still have a slight oil leak and it looks like it's coming from the tach cable where it connects to the engine.

It wouldn't start properly at first (needed a squirt of starting fluid) and then would bog down heavily through all throttle positions. I removed the carbs and fully rebuilt them, then bench sync'd them. Gave it new plugs and a fuel filter and then took it out for a run. Made a couple of adjustments and now it runs like a raped ape. Holy smokes does it fly........ I have a set of K&N pod filters to go on and I'll be getting a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 within the next 2 weeks. Then I will rejet and adjust the carbs again.

I didn't want to make the modifications until I had it running strong in stock form. I am absolutely delighted with the way it ran today.

I havn't been on a bike for 20 years until last month when I took the VA basic rider course. I've had these bikes for 2 years and both needed work, in fact the other one will be spares only. I'ts only in the last 2 weeks I've had time to really work on them.

Jamie
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM.

Welcome to the GSR from here in the central part of the state. Sounds like you've got things pretty well in hand on getting her going, but no doubt someone will show up soon with a list of links for the new member.

I have to say, your part of the state does have some mighty fine riding roads.

Comment

Pics please?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi Jamie.

Welcome to the forum.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Took the GS in for inspection this morning and it passed with no problem. I tried uploading a Picture but I couldn't do it. I think the file size is too big and I have a new phone and computer with windows 8. I wasn't that good with the old one but this has me stumped.

I have some things to do right now I will get my better half to figure it out tonight. She is better with this stuff than me.

Griffyn, you are right there are some excellent roads here for riding.

Jamie
          Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
            Seems I still have a slight oil leak and it looks like it's coming from the tach cable where it connects to the engine.
            There's an oil seal & a seal band you can replace on the housing that comes out of the head - common leak area.

Disconnect the tach cable, remove the screw & rectangular metal tab adjacent to the larger round housing (where the tach cable screws in). Grab the housing with some pliers or vise grips & pull it out of the head - might have to twist it a bit to get it free.

Numbers 27 & 28 on the parts fische:

New England Cycle Center in Hartford, CT, featuring new and used motorcycles for sale, apparel, and accessories near Wethersfield, Bloomfield, Windsor, and Waterbury.

Easy fix
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I took it out for a 20 mile ride today and there wasn't any oil leaking around the cable at all. I will monitor it but I suspect it may have been residue from the previous leak that I have fixed. I will monitor and we will see.

Still running like a champ.

I had a few compliments at the inspection station from the mechanics there. One guy loved it, couldn't stop looking at it. Another said "it's like back in the old days" we used to get bikes like that here all the time.

I had a doctors appointment shortly afterwards and when I came out there was an "old boy" sitting in his pick up truck next to it and he said he loved it. Amazing....

Hikermikem - thanks for the link, if it turns out the seal is bad I'll be replacing it.

Jamie
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Once we have a picture of the bike.......Can you post a locomotive picture for me?

Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Here's a pic of the GS750 and like I said, the wife got it figured out not me.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Very nice!
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Welcome to the forum from another Virginian. Jamie get Stardock's Start8, a $5.00 App that will allow you to have your start menu back and disable the Win 8 charm menus that pop up when you hit the screen edges with your mouse pointer. You won't be able to tell the difference between Win 8 and Win 7 with that program.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

i just ordered my seals for my leaky tach cable today. the previous owner let it make quite the mess all over the engine.

Comment

Jamie,

Welcome to GSR.

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                          Seems I still have a slight oil leak and it looks like it's coming from the tach cable where it connects to the engine.
                          There are two oil seals in there. Get both of them.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

27 26451-45000 SEAL BAND 1 B,C,EC,N,EN

28 09289-05001 OIL SEAL 1 B,C,EC,N,EN

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Great info on the seals guys. However since I cleaned it off there has been no leak, I'm going to monitor it for now.

I did have my wife drive behind me for a distance and while my speedo was reading 60mph she said I was only doing 52. Occasionally my speedo would drop down to 52 then back to 60 for the remainder of the time. Maybe using it more will free it up, who knows only time will tell.

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X