Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member - New Bike - But what is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - New Bike - But what is it ?

Hello all, found this excellent site via google, having become the new custodian of this rare beauty (well rare anyway).

Previous owner says it is 1979 GS450S .. not sure he is right.

Chassis (Vin) Number is GS450515344
    Engine Number : GS450142597

Few Pics may help too, so if anyone can help identify model and year it would be much appreciated then I can get started and find a few parts..

Hey mate, welcome!

You have a 1980 - 82 GS450... what is the manufacturing date? If it's late 1979, then it's a 1980 GS450. eg. my '82 GS450E was manufactured 10/81...

It's definitely an E/S going by the tank and tail piece.

Those mirrors are not stock, but going by the gold wheels I'm going to guess it's an S model.

Out of the factory they have a bikini fairing and bar end mirrors too.

You're also missing the grab rail off the tail piece where those exposed bolts are too.

These are great little bikes and I have a ton of fun on my E!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Gs450

Hi Pete, Thanks for the welcome, and the info.

So far I cant work out from the bike what the model year is, the bike reg document says manufactured in 1979 but I think this may be incorrect, so hoping someone can say for sure from the frame number.

The grab rail is in a box so I have that, along with the side panels and cdi cover,

it's running rough, which is why the owner sold it to me, (low compression on one cylinder) - which I'm told is a known fault on these bikes and is usually sticking valves.. we will see when I tear it down..

but for right now, just want to gather info ... so thanks for your input

Comment

Per the frame VIN, its either a 1980 GS450E or GS450S.
        http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/su...-nos/page3.gif

Comment

Carb dip & adjust the valves - then see where you're at. Nice lookin' bike!
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

What is it?... Easy. A cool looking cycle. Good luck
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Very nice. UK?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Very Cool

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                What is it?... Easy. A cool looking cycle. Good luck
                I know, right!

Single front disk and shoes in the rear....hmmm...like a "T".

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-07-2014, 09:26 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I'd go with an E model. The S model had the fairing like Pete suggested, and the upper fork tube pinch bolts have tabs welded to the nuts to be used as fairing mounts. But somebody could have replaced the tab / nuts with normal nuts at some point.

Oh yeah: the S model's front fender was painted to match the other body work, while the E has a chrome fender. Again.....could've been replaced at some point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime View Post

it's running rough, which is why the owner sold it to me, (low compression on one cylinder) - which I'm told is a known fault on these bikes and is usually sticking valves.. we will see when I tear it down..

Well, the first thing you should know is that sticking vales is not a common problem, in fact, it's really rare

The valves get tighter with use, I would venture that the low compression is due to overly tight valves. As mentioned above, adjust the valves and ride it before you tear it down.

Many owners ride the bike and never adjust the valves, and the bikes end up like yours

Go to BassCliff's site and read up on things

There's how tos for every problem there
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Coolest 450 I've seen! The date of manufacture is also stamped onto the ID plate on the steering head, no? Sound's like and '80 model.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Good Call Big T,

After my valves were adjusted, things have been going smooth. Nice reminder for those of us gawking at this bike.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                          Coolest 450 I've seen!
                          I agree! That is very cool looking.

Great things about these bikes is that people who can't clean carbs or adjust valves dump them off for cheap when they start running rough and get hard to start.

So clean those carbs and adjust those valves and it'll run better than it has in years!!

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime View Post
                            Hi Pete, Thanks for the welcome, and the info.

So far I cant work out from the bike what the model year is, the bike reg document says manufactured in 1979 but I think this may be incorrect, so hoping someone can say for sure from the frame number.

The grab rail is in a box so I have that, along with the side panels and cdi cover,

Cool, glad to hear you have the other bits! The date you have may be correct if it's late '79, last half of each year tends to be the next year's model, so that would make sense.

And a +1 to what the other guys said re: compression... most likely just valve clearances. Sort them and you'll likely find it's good to go!

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                            I'd go with an E model. The S model had the fairing like Pete suggested, and the upper fork tube pinch bolts have tabs welded to the nuts to be used as fairing mounts. But somebody could have replaced the tab / nuts with normal nuts at some point.

Oh yeah: the S model's front fender was painted to match the other body work, while the E has a chrome fender. Again.....could've been replaced at some point in time.
                            Good points Rich! Maybe had a wheel swap or re-paint at some point... never seen S wheels in person so I'm not sure if that gold is stock for them or not.

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                            Coolest 450 I've seen! The date of manufacture is also stamped onto the ID plate on the steering head, no? Sound's like and '80 model.
                            Really Allie? What about my 450? kidding
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Guys for all the useful input. I've had a good look at the frame headstock, but cannot see anything that gives 'X T etc' just the number as stated in first post. There must be something like a number sequence that would tell for sure what year though wouldn't there ?

Will have a good read up on doing the valves (any handy hints for setup do's and dont's would be appreciated. will also update on progress over the coming weeks..

Comment

Working...
                              X