New to the forum with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum with some questions

Hi all! I've been lurking for a while trying to solve some of the issues I have with my 1982 GS650. I bought it back in September '13 with 5,2xx miles on it. Now has 5,5xx.

Here's the beast:

Bike ran great for ~150 miles before it started to develop a pretty audible knock. Which, incidentally, is the reason I'm here. Here's what it sounds like:

If it's not clear in the video, the knock is inconsistant with RPMs (RPMs have an effect but it's not like a rod knock that changes frequency with the engine's revs), it goes away with some revs and comes back at idle.

I also own a 1978 Honda CB400. All stock except bars.

Also how do I change the threads to display from first post to last post instead of the other way?

Hi everyone!

Welcome! Cool bike, thanks for the pictures. From which fine village do you hail from?

Click "User CP" in the top left. "Edit Options" on the left side. Then scroll down to "Thread Display Mode" and the option is there.

Comment

Mine had a nasty knock at idle, which was the starter clutch. They also can have noisy primary gears, and noisy clutches, both of which can be made worse by out of synch carbs. The clutch nut sometimes becomes loose too. The 850 and up bikes are better known for the primary gear and clutch noise, as far as I know.

I couldn't tell much from the video.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The 650s are somewhat prone to a cam walking noise. Just the cam slides endwise and clunks into the head. Noise comes and goes, but mostly at idle, it is generally considered harmless. Hard to say, but that might be your sound. There is a procedure a machine shop can do to eliminate the walking, it was fairly complex.

It could also be more sinister, a cam chain getting ready to break will sometimes make a click..click…………………..click..click………………….click..cl ick as the bad spot in the chain goes around the two cam sprockets. I don't think yours sounds like that, but it's hard to hear in a recording like that.

Good luck, a lot of us consider the 650E the best of the GS series of bikes. They are gettting hard to find in decent shape, yours looks good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi AdmiralTriangle.

Can't help you really. I am an expert only on my own bike.

Welcome to the forum.
          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

To be honest I've been very worried that it's the cam chain or tensioner so I haven't been running it. To me, it does the click click...click click....click click of the bad timing chain links. I've had a hard time finding videos that demonstrate what it sound like though.

Carbs were just cleaned and bench sync'd along with new spark plugs and air filter and to be honest it almost sounds worse. It runs significantly better than before but the knock is more noticeable.

How can I confirm it's the chain or otherwise?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

You'll find a cam walk article on my little website.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
              Help! Your Bike Won't Start
              DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
              Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X