Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450 S *Cincinnati*

Hello Guy's and Gal's

Thanks in advance for all the posts and information I'm sure is bound to be searched when I get into rebuilding this bike.

So I got this bike after I sold a Yamaha xs750. (managed to snag a pic of them together before he picked it up )

The XS was my first bike, and too big to feel comfortable controlling.

So far my GS is exactly what I was hoping for, a 90mph bicycle with a sweet cafe look. Needs some TLC but it seems to be in excellent running condition with 28k.

First thing I did was repair some body work, the tail was chipped so I threw some bondo on it.

Even though there's more important things to do, I decided to paint the tank and tail with Plasti-dip. Definitely not a permanent fix, but it looks nice in photo's and from about 6ft away

Plus the Plasti-Dip scored a huge bonus when I messed up and was able to peel it off (it does like to stick to rust pretty well)

But here it is so far! I'll take some better photo's once I can get new bars and gadgets, clean the motor up a bit, thinking about painting the header too.

Sweet bike! Any big plans for it?

Comment

Welcome to the southwest oHIo group.

I am just up the road from you, if you need any help.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Jeff!

More than anything I just want to make it look like new, but with sportier bars, new grips/gauges/levers. I found a really great pair of art deco mirrors at dime city cycles

I was going to do the whole pod and muffler swap, but I've been reading alot about that messing with the specs. But those high performance pod filters look so killer!

I might still mess with the exhaust though, wrap the pipes and get an aftermarket exhaust....cant decide which one though

Comment

The fender fell off?

You do realize that it is also a fork brace?

It will handle better with it on there, not to mention you don't have to pick rocks out of everywere after each ride.

The bike looks good though.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Welcome to the southwest oHIo group.

I am just up the road from you, if you need any help.

Definitely! there's so many things i'm unsure about lol.

Do you ever go to cars and coffee at fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              The fender fell off?

You do realize that it is also a fork brace?

It will handle better with it on there, not to mention you don't have to pick rocks out of everywere after each ride.

The bike looks good though.

uh...

I ran out of white paint, so that hasn't made it back onto the bike yet... but that's an excellent fact to point out. TY

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Breaker View Post
                  Do you ever go to cars and coffee at fuel?
                  Evidently not. I have no idea what you are talking about.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey mate, welcome! Funnily enough I had an XS750 project many years ago and also acquired my GS450 instead... although the XS never got anywhere near running and I donated it to a mate at the time instead...

If you're looking for something light to throw through the twisties, you got the right bike! I hit them every chance I get on mine and it's awesome fun!

Keep the RPM's above 6K and she goes like a little rocket, but she'll run out of puff by the time you hit 9K.

I have motorcross 'bars on mine and they help a lot in the twisties as well, lots of leverage to push in the corners... I'm not a knee down sorta guy...

I've done the pods and custom exhaust too, and as long as you're prepared to follow advice and fiddle you can get her running well with them. The key is not to be too lean... this can burn valves and hole pistons.

Too rich will rob power and pollute your oil, but if you err one way or the other, rich is better.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X