Would you purchase a bike sight unseen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you purchase a bike sight unseen?

Thought that I would post this here, as it does not directly relate to GS bikes only.

Would you purchase a bike over the internet sight unseen, and just have it delivered by a truck to your door?

If yes, have you done it? Any stories?

And what would the $$ limit be?

I did via Ebay in 2005. It was a 1980
    GS850G. The pics looks great and the seller's feedback was outstanding. I did not have it delivered, I drove upwards of 600 miles towing a trailer to get it. It was as advertised and I got most of my money back when I sold it 2 years later.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have, its worked out OK so far.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have, off E-bay.
        Remember this, they all look better in photographs.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I would be more likely to if it was on ebay rather than craigslist or anywhere else. That way at least you could check the seller's feedback and hopefully keep yourself from getting ripped off.

Comment

I purchased from Craigslist. Photo was decent and low miles on bike. I towed a trailer to the upper p in Michigan and pulled it back. It started in a rain storm, I rode it about a hundred feet, shut it off and paid cash. Glad I did it.

Comment

Bought one off ebay, drove 12 hrs. to pick it up.
              No regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Remember this, they all look better in photographs.
                I have bought two 1980 GS1000S's online, one off a Classic Bike site and the other off Craigslist.
                First one from Montreal was not as described, photos looked better than in person, but the real problem was the seller who was the original owner of the bike, made it sound like it was as close to mint as can be. It was far from it, I figure I over paid by about $2,000.

2nd one from Boise Idaho, I flew down and rode it home, was better than expected, and awesome people to deal with.

If I buy anymore bikes long distance, I will either go there myself to see it in person, or have a local member go check it out for me.
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I have, its worked out OK so far.
                  Me, as well.

1979 GS1000

Comment

I bought one off ADVrider on that kind of deal. Lots of pics, some research & a much newer bike though....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I bought my 750 over the phone. Had to take a ferry to go get it and a night in a motel. Wasn't disappointed. Paid him what he was asking too.

Not the same thing but I bought my new BMW without being able to see or ride it either. Definitely no regrets there.
                      No signature

Comment

I've bought my last 4 bikes like that .
                        An '87 BMW K100 - recommended by someone I trusted - good thing
                        A GS1000S bought through a secondhand bike magazine - good thing
                        A '77 GS750E bought from a GSR member (in America) - good thing
                        An '82 GS1000G bought from a GSR member (in America) - still haven't seen it (will do next week) - I have absolutely no doubt it will be a very good thing .

I suppose there are lying , thieving mongrels out there but , I haven't come across one yet .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Personally, no i haven't - and wouldn't.

But i have a customer who is an expert at getting bargains off our trademe site here in NZ. He sees something he'd like and waits till it's not sold - if it's not relisted immediately, he'll wait a couple of days and email the seller. "How much do you REALLY want for it ?"....

He has bought two absolute beauties like this - and for silly money too.

An FZR600 which when i looked at it had everything - from racekit cams and rods to an ohlins shock and Yosh pipe...He's sold it now but it was an absolute weapon in pre 89 racing here. won pre 89 at Wyndham - part of the Burt Munro challenge - 3 years running. But on the listing it just looked like a standard road bike....

Recently a mid 90's 750 ducati - with a lot of 900 bits on it. again silly money - and low mileage. So original it even had the odd Ducati hose clamps still on it

several others too.

Comment

I have purchased many bikes over the internet. Some I have shipped and others I have picked up.

Only one time have I been disappointed/screwed. I bought a CB1100F in CA and had it shipped to MA. It was the middle of the winter and I just tucked it away when it arrived. A few months later I was tinkering with it and discovered it had a 900F engine in it..........I was a little angry. The seller insisted he had no idea and we came to a mutually agreed upon settlement.

I ended up selling it to a guy who drove down from Canada to pick it up.

One bad deal is no deterrent for me.

You really limit your options with local buying.
                            Last edited by Vmass; 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I bought an 84 V45 Saber last year with 1250mi. On it from a dealer in MI. The deal was well documented and the guy I got it from was great to work with. Love these deals when your pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again..

Comment

Working...
                              X