Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To the GS

Hi all-
    I am a new owner of an old 1982 GS850GL-Z.
    When I purchased the bike 6 weeks ago, it was barely running. #3 float needle was stuck open and the crankcase oil was 75% gas when we drained it!
    Since purchasing the bike I have been glued to the pages here trying to complete as many of the known issues / projects that seem to plague new owners before I begin riding it in earnest. So far, I have done the following:
    1. (almost) complete carb rebuild - still need to replace idle/air screws
    2. replace air intake boots
    3. will be replacing Carb to engine boot O-rings w/ Cyclorings kit
    4. fluid change - DOT 4 brake fluid , engine oil/filter (Valvoline 10-W40 M-Cycle), gear oil (Valvoline 75-90W Synthetic hypoid) in trans and final drive.
    5. new rubber (Dunlop D404)
    6. new brake pads all around
    7. new fuel petcock (coming soon)
    8. new k&n air filter

At this point, the bike will not idle well, or at all, but is ride-able at this point. I have only ridden it for 20 minutes after we were able to get it started.

I am going to be trailering it to an indy mechanic to complete the tuning that I cannot perform - idle/air adjustment, valve adjustment and carb synch.

I do not know if the R/R is ok but I'd like to replace it pro-actively to ensure that I have no issues down the road. I purchased an Electrosport R/R, unit but after further reading, I will be returning it and obtaining a Polaris unit.

I would like to re-wire the bike for all LED running lights and turn signals, fog lights, get it wired for my phone / GPS and install heated hand grips for fall weather riding. I will most likely need an upgraded stator - any recommendations?

I will also plan to get a paint job on the tank and side covers after a season or two and after all mechanical / electrical jobs have been completed.

I have obtained a nice set of vintage Califi hard luggage bags for touring in New England with my girlfriend.

I hope to see some of you out there on the road! I will be posting with updates when I have the bike back to a baseline tune and it is more ride-able.

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to my friend Jebb R. for the complete carb rebuild and the significant time investment he has put in to help me get this old beauty up and running again.

BGbraces

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting that thing road-worthy.

Welcome!

Pictures!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
    X