81 550T build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 550T build

Picked this gem up for 100 bucks. Not running and supposedly no spark. Wiring harness was removed by previous owner who was going to "re-do" it. But other than that bike is complete as in I have all the parts, some came in a crate .

I proceeded to tear it completely apart, clean and de-tab the frame. Also cleaned and painted the motor.

Will update later with more pics.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM. Reason: pic link didnt work

"...clean and de-tab the frame." Oh no. Not another one...
    Pledge to save an innocent vintage Motorcycle from a painful, horrible, terrifying custom hack job in 2020. There are Millions of abused motorcycles that ne...

Comment

Sorry to offend anyone with my project. Should I delete it?

Comment

Don't take it personal, not everyone is going to agree with everyone. Your bike, so do what you want to do. Just may have some negative as well as positive comments about it. terrylee

Comment

It's just that most projects that start that way end up as parts bikes, death traps, or worse. A few get finished up really nice, I hope yours is one of them. If you are really doing it right, keep it going, we like pictures, before, after, and in between. At least most of us do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

was a good lookinb bike when you got it. i been lookin into these small 4's for a while now. look forwaerd to seing what you come up with. care to share your plans?

thanks
            matt

Comment

OK, a little update. Photobucket was down last night so I just went to bed. At this point I have it back to a roller, I had other bikes to work on so I needed to be able to get it off the lift.
              Next step was digging into the carbs. Looked pretty good from the outside . Well after getting them open it told a different story. I like to think I've seen a lot of carbs, but I've never seen anything like these before. So I was told about this thing called Chem Dip, got it at the local Car Quest. At 34 bucks a gallon it isn't cheap, but it is reusable. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS, I did but still had a brain fart and left the diaphragm in the carb . But I have to say this stuff is amazing, and cleaned the carb right up after soaking for about 30 minutes. No scrubbing needed. So that's where I'm at now. Cleaning carbs. So with that being said, Where can I find a new diaphragm? I saw a website that sold them for the BS34's on my Kawi but I didn't save it cause I didn't need them. I'll have more updates this eve. May not get much done as I have some other stuff to do today.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaner242 View Post
                Oh, what a shame!! Those are expensive!

I have a few parts carbs, have a few good diaphragms.

Send a PM if you want it.

Comment

That is a $100 mistake.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

follow the tutorial on BassCliff's web site.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Find the carb rebuild guides on the right of the page and click on the one for your bike, i.e. CV carbs or VM carbs.

Carbs must be completely disassembled and then soaked for 24 hrs.

Lots of other good info on that site.

Comment

TKENT pm sent. Luckily gustovh I only did one before I realized what I had done. Hadnt had my morning rockstar yet LOL. Thanks Winfield, I've rebuilt carbs before I just wasn't thinking and was in a hurry to see if the dip worked. My bad.

Comment

The dip worked, apparently.

Comment

Had some stuff to do today so not a lot done. I did manage to get all the carbs stripped. My dip pan is only big enough for one carb at a time so I'm leaving 1 at a time overnight which is fine cause I just ordered the rebuild kits. Couple days ago I managed to free up the frozen choke cable with a little persuasion and some PB blaster. Works like new now. I also got the end of the frame cut off for a different loop, I have the tail section off the KZ that I hard tailed. I had to section it for this frame but I am making it work. I am using the original seat pan that I trimmed down, but after setting it on the bike I will more than likely be trimming down some more. I don't really like the looks of it. Since the stock exhaust was rusted out I cut it off and plan on assembling some kind of tail pipe for it. Also had a exhaust stud broke off in head, welded a nut on it and it came right out.

Comment

Comment

Forgot to mention my son has been helping on this. He is 13, I usually give him some simple tasks to do like using the wire wheel on parts, unbolting the motor and getting it out of the frame.... Its been great so far and he really seems interested in learning it. He keeps insisting that one of my bike he is going to take when he is 16. We'll see about that. Need opinions on this. A small fairing I have laying around? Yeah or nay?

Comment

Working...
                              X