New from Oregon, GS425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from Oregon, GS425

Hello all... been lurking for awhile now, huge member over at another forum for my other bike a Yamaha xt225, but now I feel since I've owned my 79 GS425 for about 9 months now and have been doing a bunch of work on it, I thought it was time to introduce myself.

Live in the outer suburbs of Portland on the west side and had recently been looking to get a more of a commuter bike for running into work. I've put over 40k miles on my little dual sport and felt like it should be putting those miles in the dirt, not on the street. Back in October I saw a poorly written ad on CL selling a non-running GS425L some kid didn't know what to do with. I ventured down to check out the bike and ended up putting an offer of $300 on it. Guy took my offer and I went home with the keys. Since it was non-running I had a friend trailer it to my work where it sat for a good 6 months while I tinkered on it. This is what it looked like the day it arrived.

7,000 on the odometer and from what I can tell in pretty decent shape.. I've replaced a lot of things to get it back in working order, so that has definitely kept me busy. My main goal is to turn it into a retro-mod brat/cafe style bike.. I think I'm nearly there, just need to add a few more things and polish up some covers...

but this is what it looks like now...

Runs pretty well, but having an issue with the left side ignition coil... I would love to hear some input on this issue... I think I've narrowed it down to a dying coil.. my symptoms are that it start bogging and afterfiring around 6-7000 rpm and won't go above that unless I'm in 1st gear, sometimes 2nd. Had tested the coil and it is showing just slightly lower than 3ohm resistence. It's driving me mad I just want to be riding!

Anyways... that's the jist of it. I look forward to spending more time on this site and perhaps connecting with a few fellow GS owners in the area. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. There are a few member in the Portland area and maybe someone can loan you a coil to see if that's it. I've had symptoms as you've described and it turned out to be dirty carbs and a leaking intake system. What you've done so far, changing the seat and such, looks great!

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome mate! Looks like you're doing a good job with the 425 there, I'm definitely a fan of these little GS Twins

Has it still got points? If so, it could be the condensor rather than the coil that's causing you grief...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Welcome mate! Looks like you're doing a good job with the 425 there, I'm definitely a fan of these little GS Twins

Has it still got points? If so, it could be the condensor rather than the coil that's causing you grief...

Appreciate it! I really love the bike as well, when it is running well anyways...

So yes, it still does have points, and I've recently purchased a used coil off ebay and when I put it in the bike ran perfectly for about 15-20 min, or I'm guessing until the coil heated up? But I am still experiencing the same issues of backfiring and bogging only on that coil's side. I don't think it's a leak or the carbs, I've been through them 3 times now and like I said, the bike actually runs perfectly with a good coil in there. Does anyone know if there is a replacement for the stock coils for a good price? I don't think I want to convert to electronic ignition at this point.

Comment

I don't have one, but I do so love the 400-series bikes from most of the Japanese manufacturers. It looks like you have been putting in some quality time rehabbing yours.

Have you tried swapping the coils around to see if the problem follows it?

PS I like the new seat
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It's more likely the condenser that is failing, rather than the coil

Replace your points and condensors, they go bad with time
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              I don't have one, but I do so love the 400-series bikes from most of the Japanese manufacturers. It looks like you have been putting in some quality time rehabbing yours.

Have you tried swapping the coils around to see if the problem follows it?

PS I like the new seat

I actually have swapped the coils and the problem does follow it. This is why I'm thinking it is the coil. Anyway to bench test the condensers? I know that they are in line actually bolted onto the coil itself. Would it be as simple as cutting the wire and splicing a new one in? I have a few replacement parts to try...

Comment

Welcome to the forum and keep up the good work on your bike. The condenser being mentioned is for the points. Would be happy to give you a hand, am home most days. I have a few parts maybe we can find a coil that will work.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

ok... so last night I apparently had decided to go through everything one last time... test all connection, test voltages, test resistences, tighten bolts, swap coils, all those things... What can possibly be going on with my bike?!?!?

Ended up not finding any issues and felt oddly at ease once I finished putting the tank and seat back on...

Watched an episode of #bikerlive and went to bed...

Woke up this morning, and like a miracle my bikes is fixed!!

Through all my tinkering and swapping out coils and being hasteful and not tightening up the bolts on the coils, I realized it wasn't being grounded enough and at a certain rpm or voltage charge that is what was causing all my rough running issues. Ended up being one of the simple things possible... but now at least I know everything is buttoned up... timing, valves, connections, electrical, carbs cleaned and adjusted, bike is in tip top running condition.

Guess all your responses from yesterday made me decide to have one last go over and it seemed to have worked. YA!!

Comment

more pics...

Comment

Glad to hear it! Now you can really just go ride and have fun, the best thing about these old girls is servicing them, repairing them, improving them, whatever, then getting to just riiiiiiiiiiide when it all works out

How'd you get it in the gallery at the last pic there? Do you work there or something?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Glad to hear it! Now you can really just go ride and have fun, the best thing about these old girls is servicing them, repairing them, improving them, whatever, then getting to just riiiiiiiiiiide when it all works out

How'd you get it in the gallery at the last pic there? Do you work there or something?
                        I own and operate a small fine art printing business and gallery.. It's nice to have free parking downtown Portland, just ride in and park it in the back.

Comment

Ah nice! Yes, very handy

sigpic

Comment

I like the idea, your bike is looking nice. Where is the gallery located?
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                              I like the idea, your bike is looking nice. Where is the gallery located?
                              V
                              Downtown Portland in the Pearl... Pearl Printing and Gallery.

Most likely if you stop by in the dry months I'll be riding the GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X