Hiya, just got a 83 gs750t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiya, just got a 83 gs750t

Hiya, I'm ennuii. I'm From MA and this is my first bike, but not the first thing I have built with wrenches. Oh-and I have like no idea what I'm doing. This should be interesting...

Got it for a pretty cheap price, though it does need a lot of work. When I got it the thing was running, and riding, but the front caliper was seized and was all banged up. Already rebuilt the front caliper and fixed that problem.

It's going to need a whole new headlight assembly. the bucket is egg-shaped, and the lamp is not (go fig)- you can see the yellow electrical tape holding it together in the first pic (P.O. was a genius with tape: see the seat?). New exhaust because it is atrocious. Also have to do the front and rear sprocket and chain. (Never done anything like that so it'll be an adventure.- Just gotta figure out what parts I need to get for that.)

It's great that this thing is an 1983 and a T model. In the books it really doesn't seem to exist anywhere. The suzuki dealership parts guy told me I was mistaken when I told him what year it was The vin proved him wrong. I THINK that it is basically a 83 es with different gauges. But I'm not entirely sure. Most of the parts I have looked into look similar.

Some pics of the beast:

Welcome to the forums and to the T club!

It is indeed a fairly rare bike, although that just means some parts are hard to find, doesn't do much for their value.

Not sure of any companies selling T seat covers but I haven't tried to buy one so I wouldn't know.

Chain and sprockets are easy as pie, and now would be a good time to convert to a 530 chain and sprockets.

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for collectible or rare. I was looking for more like "Ooh a motorcycle that I can afford!"

I think I have to call the z1 guys and see what they have for me to switch over the chain. The bike doesn't appear on their drop down menus. That would be too easy, you know?

Seat covers... yeah. I really don't like the look or form of the seat. I have no idea what to do with it though. I really like the older honda flat seats.

edit**
      And just like that a 10 minute phone call to Z1 and already got what I needed. sprockets and chain and links and spacers all plotted out to switch to 530.
      sweet.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Hello and Welcome to the forum.....

go to the bottom of this page

if they don't have your seat cover, send them you original, they will make one for you for free, and they end up with a pattern for future sales...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          Hello and Welcome to the forum.....

go to the bottom of this page

if they don't have your seat cover, send them you original, they will make one for you for free, and they end up with a pattern for future sales...

Cool, I thoroughly enjoy free things. Sent them a message already. What a productive day of sitting on my rump in front of the computer.

Comment

Welcome Ennuii...

What you have there is a 1982 Suzuki GS750TZ. See my signature and there are a few pics in my folder here too.

These are certainly bikes worthy of attention. 1982 and 83 only so tanks, seats and such are hard to come by if you need them but its the same basic engine as the other 16V 750's so most parts engine parts and such are available.

Do the 530 chain conversion...I've done it on both my 750's (the Bandit was already sporting one).
            sigpic
            1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
            2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by ennuii View Post
              New exhaust because it is atrocious.
              Tell you what my PO did about rusty chrome headers - high temp black paint. Lots of it.

POs - ya gotta love 'em.
              Attached Files
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                Welcome Ennuii...

What you have there is a 1982 Suzuki GS750TZ. See my signature and there are a few pics in my folder here too.

These are certainly bikes worthy of attention. 1982 and 83 only so tanks, seats and such are hard to come by if you need them but its the same basic engine as the other 16V 750's so most parts engine parts and such are available.

Do the 530 chain conversion...I've done it on both my 750's (the Bandit was already sporting one).
                Hi!
                The vin says that the year of fabrication is 1983, and I have this pic:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/G...rfront_832.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from suzukicycles

Plus, the dealer parts dude was eventually able to find the bike in some random sub folder with special editions in it. It took a bit of searching. I think he was using a computer with windows 95 on it.

Our bikes do look exactly the same save the engine crash bars- and yours is clean lol.

@rob s.
                Yeah, I do kind of want 4 into 1's I'm looking at Vance and Hines black ones right now. Probably gonna run me like 300 bucks. It's funny. My father has 2 harleys and they're like 90% chrome. I don't like shiny. I like black. Yours do look sweet though.

**edited for english...
                Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

@rob s.
                  Yeah, I do kind of want 4 into 1's I'm looking at Vance and Hines black ones right now. Probably gonna run me like 300 bucks. It's funny. My father has 2 harleys and they're like 90% chrome. I don't like shiny. I like black. Yours do look sweet though.
                  Thanks much. Here's an upside down photo of the exhaust side - V&H "Street Megaphone" originally all chrome, got a dent in one of the headers. I'll eventually replace it with the same part, just can't decide black or chrome. I kind of like black headers with chrome muffler.

I recently read somewhere that chrome is the way to go, that a black painted header is just inviting corrosion. I just keep the Helix paint handy for touch-ups every few rides.

I often see this exhaust for around $320, but I'm sure shipping and tax would push it to $400.

Shiny side up!
                  Attached Files
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome!

Great to see another "T" on here. Yep, Z1 is great for our parts. Got my v&h pipes, progressive shocks And 530 conversion from them. Still holding off on the sprocket change since my front hub needs to be air gunned loose since it's so darn tight.

Keep us posted on your adventures with your "T".

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

To convert rusty pipes to black pipes with reasonable success, I use a rust convertor 1st, it turns the rust to black iron oxide. It needs some rust present to make it work. Rust Restorer is in a spray can I find at Wal-Mart, much as I hate to go there. It is mixed in the can into a black paint, so it's just the same as spray painting things black. After an hour or so I will heat things up with a torch (from a distance) to burn off what didn't do anything. Or, if I can get to all the rusty spots, leave the exhaust on and go for a good spin. Last, I use the high temp black paint, any brand, and the 1st time I run the bike I ride open highway for a good 30-40 minutes. The forced air over the pipes keeps the paint from getting hot enough to blister and it cures nicely. Works pretty good, but there's only flat black as an option, nothing you can do to gloss it.

Comment

Hi!
                        The vin says that the year of fabrication is 1983, and I have this pic:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/G...rfront_832.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from suzukicycles

Plus, the dealer parts dude was eventually able to find the bike in some random sub folder with special editions in it. It took a bit of searching. I think he was using a computer with windows 95 on it.

Our bikes do look exactly the same save the engine crash bars- and yours is clean lol.

@rob s.

**edited for english...
                        Yep, that picture is a 1983 alright...notice the different paint scheme, the blacked out engine, etc.

It is what it is, you decide dude....good luck with your refurbishment.
                        sigpic
                        1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                        2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                          Yep, that picture is a 1983 alright...notice the different paint scheme, the blacked out engine, etc.

It is what it is, you decide dude....good luck with your refurbishment.

Yeah, you're most likely right now that I actually look at everything, which saves me a bunch of frustration in the overall (82 shows up more often in EVERYTHING), however it adds having to find out why I'm wrong. I wonder what's up with my vin. Perhaps the paperwork is wrong. I mean it doesn't look like it's been salvaged/franken-biked. I know there's dents and all but not too bad.

I wish I had a garage to tinker in at my house. The bikes living a town away at my father's place until I get a better living arrangement. Field-trip tomorow to triple check vins

Are vins hidden throughout bikes like they are cars? Like first 4 under the air box second 4 on a brake drum or something silly like that?

Comment

Your engine is black, just dusty and faded looking in the pictures.
                            Also the little plastic cover thing you see up by where the frame connects to the neck only came on the 83's, not the 82's.

You have a GS750TD made in 1983.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the seat covers, Gatekeeper. Mine has a few tiny rips and I was wondering how to repair it, but for the price a new replica would be much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X