Hi from the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from the UK

Hello, I'm Steve, I'm in West Wales, and I've just acquired an '82 GS850G. She's a bit of a dog as you can see in the pic, but should make a nice summer project.

My intent is to bring it more or less to original condition, with a few notable exceptions - The bike's original colour was black, but I really like the bright blue, even though it probably never came in that colour.... I'll be keeping the K&Q seat (or a newer similar one) as it allows my stumpy legs to hit the ground

Anyway, got a lot of reading up to do, especially the carb refurb guide. If I can't find what I'm looking for I'll ask!

Wales

Welcome!

Once you get things sorted, you will be Happy, Happy, Happy.

Please do post pics of your work. Then when you get her up and running, post pics with the countryside in the background.

I have been to Wales...Snowdon and the surrounding southern areas. It was interesting to note people speaking their local language...and then going quiet once we walked into a shop.

Lots of hyphenated names for towns. Loved being there.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome Spit

I think the Brit invasion has started on this forum. So many bikes being imported over here now.

Welcome Spit - you have arrived at a great forum. There is nothing on your bike that someone here can't help you with.

Join us on the UK GS Owners Facebook Page page if you get a moment.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Welcome steve, when I was looking for my GS850G there were quite a few in Wales, but would be a heck of a run just to have a look at one, looks like it will keep you busy for a while.

Comment

Hi all,

Chris, I wonder if there are any owners near to me? Would be nice to meet up when I'm on the road. I reckon it'll be at least 2 months just to get her through an MOT, never mind prettying her up! First big job is front forks - they're badly pitted. Seen a place online that does a full recon/straighten/rechrome for about half the price of new, the few 2nd hand ones I've seen look like there's not too many years left in them. Then a full brake refurb, sort some of the electrics before cleaning the carbs and seeing if she starts! I'll be spraying the tank & bodykit while all this goes on so it has plenty of curing time before its needed.

Comment

welcome to the forum lots of good info on here from guys who know their stuff allways good to hear of another gs being rescued,had some great holidays in Pembrokeshire by the way!

Comment

I've been there too! Got my first tattoo from a place in Pembroke.

Comment

Looking forward to the pics Spit. I've got an '86', she needs a fair bit done before she hits the road. Lost my job due to health reasons the other week so its going to take a whiley longer than first anticipated.
                You could maybe keep me posted on how you get on with the forks, mine are needing attention. I've googled it and come across with one or two options, but a wee heads up comes in handy!
                All the best with it anyway..

Comment

I'm looking at a company called pitted forks (google for the website). They are certainly not the cheapest, but they describe the process they do and it seems to be the right way for the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit View Post
                    I'm looking at a company called pitted forks (google for the website). They are certainly not the cheapest, but they describe the process they do and it seems to be the right way for the best results.
                    They're the ones i was thinking about. They sound good enough to me aswell..

Comment

Working...
                    X