Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850GL in Florida

Hello All!

I'm Scott, located(for NOW) in the Clearwater area of Florida. I would DEFINITELY be interested in meeting other GS riders. I've owned Yamahas and a BMW in the past, this is my FIRST Suzuki! I've LEARNED My 850G"L" is a Special Creature! All with help from THIS site! My bike was Sold to me as an Original 850GL, and not KNOWING any better, I bought a Running(Kinda) Basket Case! Apparently, the tank is from a GS1000 or up, the Air box is actually Stamped "GS1000G" in the housing, which of course doesn't "fit" my 850 carb setup! A 1000cc engine OBVIOUSLY has a Wider Cylinder head, thus the carb spacing is NOT the same as my 850! The tank is TOTALLY Wrong, no rear to bolt it to, the "pegs" or studs for the rubber "pucks" for the front of the tank were grond off, and the pucks were glued much further forward. So, my forks will hit the tank if I turn them to LOCK!
    Wiring Harness was butchered, a LOT of connections were wires twisted together and taped up!
    Within 10 days of purchase, I went out to the bike and discovered a puddle of gasoline, with the petcock in the ON position. So, carb rebuilds and discoveries of EVERYTHING wrong soon followed! I actually bought an 81 750L for a parts bike, complete wiring harness, front M/C, turn signals(didn't have ANY!), along with robbing the COMPLETE Ignition System. I took the controls, and complete gauge cluster from the parts bike. I have the parts bike up on the parts for sale list, I have a ton of stuff it came with, pristine Original tank, along with the Road Warrior Black tank that was used. 3 sets of carbs, etc, etc. Plus all the stuff from my bike!
    Anyway, I have a PROPER Tank and CORRECT Airbox arriving TUESDAY!! WooHoo!
    My carb rebuild in November got wiped out by Ethanol, so I JUST rebuilt my carbs AGAIN! Using O-Ring kits from Mr. Barr, and Intake Boot O-rings as well as the Stainless bolt kit! Florida, right? Corrosion Central!
    I Sync'd carbs, and ONLY have Pod filters to use, since my Airbox DOESN'T FIT. With stock jets and an OLD 4 into 1, I've actually taped off about 95% of the each pod filter, just to make run like it's supposed to! I DON'T want to re-jet, or NEED more power, and WORSE fuel economy! Ethanol-free is about 4 bucks a gallon down here!
    About me: I'm 51(in 2 weeks!), currently OFFICIALLY disabled, an infection which re occurs every several years, incurred during a NASTY MC accident in 1985. My 82 650 Seca was unrecognizable! I had several surfies, threatened with foot amputation 3 times, BACK THEN! At 22-23 years old I said "No Thank You"! it was saved during the 7th surgery! Normal re-infection usually requires ME cleaning and dressing for a week to 10 days, no problems. This time, planets aligned, work was extreme: Hours, DIRT, Lack of Sleep and Proper Nutrition......... So.......... 14 months and counting......... Trying to keep the foot, but the damage is extreme, and the Bionic Stuff they make today has me sayin....... Hmmmmm! But for sure, if it comes off, I'M KEEPING THE SKELETON! Maybe a Lucite Prosthetic with Color Change LEDs and a rechargeable battery pack!
    I can hear it now! " Just let my foot finish charging, and we'll be on our way!"
    But Really...... if it comes off, it's my right foot, I can add a Proportioning Valve to the front brake system, and will only need to be able to stand, to keep riding!
    I had my FIRST MC License @ 12 years old in Oklahoma, no lie. I've been riding since I was 10 years old.! I've worked on boats, cars, small engines, LARGE Diesels, LARGE Diesels IN boats, sold Auto Parts, and managed Service Depts. Most Recently, Electrician for outdoor Events, like UltraFest and Sobe Wine & Food! 7 years of that. I've wired Generators in Hurricanes, kept gas stations going during emergencies, and YES, I like to Drink Beer!

I think that's TOO much for now! I've found many resources here, Steve, Witttom, And that Other Guy I bought some parts from! Oh Yeah! Lou!

Good Luck to All....... Watch OUT FOR CARS, They CAN'T SEE YOU!!!!

Regards,

Scott

Welcome to great site! Hope everything works out for you. Check out the "welcome" thread in this section. Some on here don't care for the L, but I would love to have one minus the handlebars! terrylee

Comment

Thanks terrylee!

Thanks for the Welcome!

I DID check out the Mega-Welcome page from BassCliff. He never actually sent it to me when I signed up!
      I've already purchased some parts from other users, and did my 2ND Carb rebuild with The O-ring and bolt kits from Robert Barr. Ethanol!
      I'm new HERE, but I'm NOT NEW! I've worked on EVERYTHING, as my HUGE Introduction states!
      I HAVE noticed a Bias against the L, I personally NEVER even owned a Suzuki before when I bought the bike, and it is definitely a project! I guess $700. for a KINDA running project isn't a bad price I'm told! I'm considering converting the REAR of the bike to a "G", with Tail Light Fairing, and flip open Seat!
      As for the bars, I'm not SURE they're the L bars, as the 81 750L parts bike I have has a much HIGHER rise to the bars mounted on it. It came with some Really LOW bars, more Sport Bike, but the controls and Especially the Front MC and Hose interfered with the Gauge Cluster. So the other bars went back on!
      My bike had no turn signals, rear grab bar, and was actually missing bolts for the rear fender. Wrong tank, Airbox, and WRONG side covers zip-tied on! BROKEN Covers, I mean!
      Anyway, piece by piece, it'll go back together! It RUNS great right now, Especially at higher RPMS!

Again, thanks for the Welcome!

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Working...
      X