Possibly about to become a gs owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly about to become a gs owner

Hello gents, I have a good friend that has a work buddy with this 1981 gs 1100e. He is the original owner, and it is stock aside from the 4 into 1 and I think the cases were polished by him as well. It has been sitting for two years, as he has been unable to ride due to health. He is now getting it running, and then would like to sell it. I get first stab at it, so hopefully it'll work out. Anyway I'm from Vancouver, bc, canada and look forward to participating in the forum. Any advice as to value, or things to look for with a 35 year old bike that's been sitting for two years would be appreciated as well.

Cheers

Gorgeous example of that model
    Very sharp

Comment

If it's as nice as it looks in the picture and it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I'd say somewhere between $1800 and $2200 in our market. If it's mint maybe a little more. Bonus if it qualifies for a Collector Plate. Check out the BCCMC website for Sunday coffee meetings and rides.....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Looks really nice....good luck.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          If it's as nice as it looks in the picture and it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I'd say somewhere between $1800 and $2200 in our market. If it's mint maybe a little more. Bonus if it qualifies for a Collector Plate. Check out the BCCMC website for Sunday coffee meetings and rides.....
          http://www.bcclassicmotorcycleclub.c...php?board=14.0
          Thanks for the info, the bike has 20,000 original km and he had it on a collector plate before parking it.

I've been lurking the BCCMC forum for a while now, mainly the bikes for sale section...

Comment

Nice looking bike. Don't tell anyone where it is, I can think of a few guys that would love to have that bike Welcome to the site and best of luck getting the bike. Lots of GS guys local to you.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wow! very nice! Check out the charging system if you can. Check date on tires, if very old might need to replace right away. Never hurts to check compression. Might ask about jets in carbs, since has 4 in one may need mains up a little. But sure looks in good shape. terrylee

Comment

Very nice indeed..

Comment

Looks to be a prime example of an historic bike. Second year in a row that it was the "World's Quickest Motorcycle" according to Cycle World quarter mile testing.

Nada says $3,335, Kelly says $2,255 for excellent. And it's low mileage.

You could check the plugs and compression, etc., but I take a more seat-of-the-pants approach:

Does it start easy and hold a steady idle a little over 1,000 rpm?

Does it pull hard to redline without coughing or stuttering?

Best of luck.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Buy THAT bike! Glorious machine. Offer $2,000 and be willing to dicker. Just get it. You will never be sorry.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks to everyone....I am anxiously awaiting the call that it's running and ready to be viewed/ridden/ purchased. I will update with pics as soon as Ive seen it. Thanks again gents.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X