Be careful what you wish for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful what you wish for...

Just finished work on a 1978 Yamaha xs650E standard and wanted to get a bike that I could really do some travelling with. Had to have 4 cylinders, air cooled, shaft drive, dependable, and something I could take on as a project.

Proud owner of a 1980 GS850G. Reputation as a bullet proof engine with smooth shaft drive. So I replaced the tires and balanced the wheels, greased the gears with Honda moly 60, adjusted the valves, replaced the valve cover gasket with neoprene gasket, replaced the stereo speaker wiring that PO used for wiring, replaced the carb boots, currently chasing down a short under the gas tank and chasing down another oil leak (ordered tach seals). Replacing fluids as well. Will be doing all the other stuff in short order.

What I've discovered is that you have to do a whole lot of reading before you even start to work on these bikes. I'm really grateful to you guys for posting all the info here. Now back to reading.

Welcome to the site. Now lets see some photos of your steed.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks. Tried to post pics earlier. Will try again.

Platform to work on bike. Will post more pics later.

Comment

dented tank

Work to do.

Comment

better pic

Black bike. Will repaint it with rattle cans after I get the mechanical sorted out.

Comment

Working...
          X