My 850G and me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 850G and me.

I found this forum looking for info on my 850.
    Ran great but leaked oil,,, from a lotta places!
    This all started in about 2001 when I took the bike on a trip.
    Turned out the crankcase breather tube was blocked in the air box
    so the motor pushed oil through the gaskets,, lots of it!! I got home but threw away 2 pairs of jeans cause they were soaked with oil.
    In '02 I bought all the gaskets from the barrel gasket up to solve the prob but never installed them till now!!! procrastinate or what,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.
    Over the years I have found and installed all the vetter ad ons.
    Fairing with lowers,stereo pod (no radio yet) saddle bags and trunk.
    The bike and fairing pieces are all black with gold pin stripes, it's my Bandit,,lol. I have only fired the bike briefly a couple of times since the gasket install so don't really know how well I did on stopping the leaks. Waiting for the carb to air box rubber boots and it will be time to ride!
    Planning on a couple of tours around southern BC and into NW USA this year.
    Looking forwad to meeting some of you at the Saskwatch meet in Cranbrook BC about an hr, 10 min from me in Wynndel BC.
    Happy to be here!
    Fred

Welcome to the site, Fred.
    I thought i was the King of Procrastination but i will have to pass the crown along. haha.
    Lots of BC riders on the site.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome! If been sitting that long will have to rebuild carbs. terrylee

Comment

Welcome Fred, Cranbrook here!

Comment

Welcome to the site. Holy cow, I thought I'd seen some small towns but yours takes the hat. Welcome to the site and make sure you take that bike out for some good shake down rides close to home before you start touring. Let see some pictures of this 'bagger'. Will be good to meet you at the rally.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome Fred. Don't mention missing parts on here as you'll have people offering up replacements.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It seems i may have led a few of you astray,,,,,
              When I got home from that trip and found the crankcase breather plugged I fixed it and the motor only pushed a small amount of oil out when on the highway,,you know,,just enough to P-SS ME OFF !! lol
              I have since taken it on several trips. I'm turning into a bit of an Ironbutt,,
              on the last trip I planned about 800 miles over the weekend riding from here south to Missoula, over Lolo to Orifino up to St Maries and home,. There are beautiful winding roads all through there. I live close to the border and our crossing is only open 7am to 11 pm. I crossed at about 7:30 and was back at 10:30 THAT NITE!!! Just couldn't get off the bike,,,
              Anyway I have been using the bike off and on over the years and this year I plan to be on it more than off it!
              Fred
              I'll get some better pics up soon, I only use the trunk when traveling.
              This pic taken 20mins from my house on BC 3A one of the 10 best rides in Canada
              Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Fantastic. There's nothing better than seeing a GS that's a rider. Your bike is another example of how much of a work horse these bikes are.
                Rob
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Lolo Pass is one of the best ride I have ever been on..
                  200+ miles of twisty roadway in the wilderness --
                  remember to buy fuel before you leave....
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                    Lolo Pass is one of the best ride I have ever been on..
                    200+ miles of twisty roadway in the wilderness --
                    remember to buy fuel before you leave....

You know so many people say that about that road but the wife and I did it 2 years ago and we were both let down with that road. It's nice by all means but it sure wasn't everything it's made out to be. The #12 is nicer in other area's I thought and there are far better roads for technical and views than that but then again we are used to riding in the wilderness, maybe we are spoiled. Same thing about the Tetons, I guess by having the Rocky Mountains in your backyard everything else looks like a hill.
                    Rob

Comment

azr
                      please understand that for me to get to Lolo Pass I have two hard days riding - 1500 miles - across the Great Plains before I even glimpse the Hy 12 leading thru the wilderness. ?.

It's all a matter of perspective. ?.
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Was up the 3A along the Kootenay Lake today( Yes one of the 10 best rides in Canada). Stopped at the Bayshore resort for pancakes. took a few pics but can only load 1. The weather was perfect sunny warm not too much traffic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X