New to me 1983 GS750ES with 5K miles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me 1983 GS750ES with 5K miles!

Hi there GSR, I've been lurking and absorbing lots of GSR knowledge for a couple of months but decided to finally post and introduce myself and my bike.

I'm Mike from Utah, USA. I'm new to GS bikes, but not motorcycles in general, been riding for almost 20 years and enjoy working on bikes almost as much as riding them. As crazy as it might seem to some, when I was 10 my father was killed on his motorcycle, broadsided by a DHL Air Freight truck driver, but I still love to ride. I'm not overly superstitious, but I am Mike Jr...So I ride hyper-aware and as defensively as possible.

I've owned several bikes over the over the years, an 84 Honda Nighthawk 700, an 82 Yamaha Virago 750, an 03 Suzuki Marauder 800 and currently own a couple of other bikes, 2) little 1980 80cc Yamaha trail/street bikes and another 83 - a Honda V45 750 Magna, but it's in pieces. I'm in the process of putting a new/used motor in it.

A friend of mine recently decided to get rid of his 1983 GS750ES that has only ~5000 miles on it and so I snatched it up!

Other than the blinkers and Kerker 4-1 header/pipe and consequent center stand removal, she's stock and quite clean. Must've sat somewhere for years. When I took the wheels in a couple of weeks ago to get my new tires put on it, they told me it looked like it was the original front tire! The tread was fine, but it had cracks and dry rot all throughout it.

I've been putting quite a bit of time and money into it - new Pirelli Sport Demons, new Compu-Fire R&R, I adjusted the valves, cleaned and bench synced the carbs, replaced the leaking petcock seals and vacuum hoses, drained and refilled the engine and fork oil, did the coil relay mod last night, put in a new battery and wired in a tender and 12V accessory socket, upgraded nearly all lighting to LED's including a custom fabbed quad 15W MR16 light bar up front and have been spending lots of time checking torque settings and cleaning/testing electrical connections as well as polishing and cleaning her up!

I've downloaded and printed out the manual and also put it on my iPad (inside the awesome LifeProof Nuud case) and used multiple PDFs from BassCliff's site and will be posting about the work I've been doing to it and questions involved as well but wanted to say hello and thanks for having such a knowledgable and helpful forum!

Enough typing, here's some pictures. The night I brought her home:
    In the parking garage at work:

With the Great Salt Lake in the background:

Blurry shot of the odometer/cluster:

Mostly naked with a mess of tools and junk around it the day after I brought it home:

I've still got a few things I need work on - the biggest one being the tach. It's got the dreaded electronic tach on it with that IC that is no longer made, so I'm going to try replacing the capacitors hoping they're just dried out and gone bad, so I'll be posting about that once I do a little more searching and attempt to repair it. Otherwise I may get another separate tach gauge and mount it somewhere, there just not much room up by the bars with the fairing and windshield on it...

Anyway, that's all folks! I'll be "seeing" you around The GSR.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Nice bike. I've owned a GS700ES since it was new. Lots of fun.

I have a pretty nice stock exhaust for that if you're interested in replacing the aftermarket one. Let me know if you are.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks Griffin, they are fun bikes. I've wanted this bike since my buddy got it years ago, I'm so excited to finally own it. Cosmetically it's in excellent shape, and as far as the exhaust goes, I've considered it, only having a side stand is a pain - doing things like removing the front tire or forks requires me to sling it up with a come-along.

At this point though, it has a nice smooth power band all the way up to WOT, feels like it's been re-jetted for the 4-1 and I like the rumble to Kerker puts out. Loud pipes save lives, right? If I end up going back to stock, I'll be looking for an exhaust, center stand, mirrors and front and back turn signals. Thanks for letting me know you have the exhaust.
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Nice score, and welcome...
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

If you go with stock pipes I will buy your Kerker..

Comment

Yes these are cool bikes.Been playing round with my 85 750(Canadian) for 4 years now.K&S make a great replica of the signals.The old ones break up at the rubber bits as I'm sure you know.

Put these shorter ones on the rear of mine.Same ones with 3 wires on the fronts.Mine has a few more than 5000 miles on it.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Not to jack but here is mine, my favorite bike to ride.

Comment

I'll see that jack Joe

Comment

Very, very nice.

My '82 1100e came without a center stand. My first thought was to install one, but I bought a "Trackside" rear paddock stand for $29.95, and I'm very happy not to be lugging those extra pounds around now.

The first number on your oil temp gauge appears to be 210. What's the last number indicated, and what's your average and highest temps?

Congratulations. Finding an '83 with only 5,000 miles is like an old man (like me) marrying a 31-year-old Japanese beauty who's only had sex once - almost.

Very, very nice.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I apologize. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's motorcycle."
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

SVSooke - those look good, the shorter ones look better IMO, and I like your taste in mirrors too.

jwhelan65 that is a beautiful 700ES, love your seat and that is one clean motor!

Rob S. lol, thanks. I like your analogy! Mail order Japanese brides, only been ridden once!! I think I'll look into that paddock stand as well. IIRC, the first number on the oil gauge is 190, the line about a quarter of the up is 210, and it hovers right around there at the most and maybe 230 or so at highest. Yours?

It will get above 100F here in Utah this summer and in city traffic I'll be keeping an eye on the temp for sure. With the oil cooler I'm sure I'll be fine, but I will ohm out the oil temp sending unit and possibly stick a thermometer in the oil when I pull the plug for my next oil change to verify the gauge is reading close. It seems to take a little while before the gauge even budges... I also want to pull the pan and check the pickup screen, but I think I'll have to drop the pipe and with all the talk of broken exhaust bolts, I'll be PB Blastin' those bolts for a week and then get out my torch before I crank on them.

EDIT: spelling and grammar.
                      Last edited by mikerophone; 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Nice find! I wanted one of those so bad and couldn't find one on ksl so I settled on an '81 gs750. Still love the bike but the lines on yours just have something special to them

Comment

Originally posted by mdturner View Post
                          Nice find! I wanted one of those so bad and couldn't find one on ksl so I settled on an '81 gs750. Still love the bike but the lines on yours just have something special to them
                          Agreed. I love the lines on the ES models, the fairings have really grown on me too and I'm liking the stance as well. Not many GS's on KSL these days...but the 81 is a nice bike too. Good to see another SLC GS'er around!

Comment

Actual temperature on the oil gauge

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            The first number on your oil temp gauge appears to be 210. What's the last number indicated?
                            Sorry Rob S. I misread that. The first number on the oil temp gauge is 160, the line about 1/4 of the way up (sweet spot/ideal, anyone know?) is 230 and the far right, max temp is 320.

Comment

Working...
                            X