Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100E First project

Hello world,

I'm a 19 year old Mech Engineering student who about a year ago bought my first Real project. . .

A Big, Mean, red '82 GS1100e for $650

I'm already in love with the bike and I'm looking for some sage guidance on what direction I should move in restoring the bike.
    Firstly it has: 30k on the tac, new HD front tire, Bald lasertec rear, rusty Vance & Hines Exhaust, K&N Pod Filters, dirtbike grips (quick fix for old nasty, ill fitting, chinese crap), torn corbin seat, peeling clear coat, cracked blinker lenses, 630 chain with stock sprockets, leaky fork seals, slightly weeping headgasket.

Currently: it purrs like a kitten (after a long, eventful, carb clean), New chain, and battery but thats about it.

Im looking for some insight for restoring, and improving this gem,
    And all input is appreciated,
    Thanks

Welcome to the site! I build & race these 1100s & 1150s. Feel free to call me at 714--356-7845 if you ever have questions, need help or parts. I have LITERALLY tons of parts for the 80 through 86 1100s & 1150s. Ray.

Comment

I recently bought an '82 1100e (my first bike in 25 years).

I can't offer much in the way of technical know-how, so I'll give you a bit of history:

In 1980 and 1981, Cycle World magazine declared the Suzuki GS1100e the world's quickest production motorcycle.

In 1982, it was slightly edged out in the quarter-mile by the Kawasaki GPz 1100, but Cycle World stated it was so close that it was, for all intents and purposes, a dead heat.

So that's our bike. One more thing...

Two weeks ago I noticed a pickup truck too close behind me on the highway. He pulled up along side me, and before I could start to curse him out, he leans way out his window and yells, "That's the best bike ever made! That's the best bike ever made! You got gold!"

You got gold, my friend.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Those are among my favorite cycles....Good luck and ride safe...
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          You got gold, my friend.
          Indeed. I have an 82 1100E myself and they are superb bikes. OP, anything you need help with you will find on this forum. Welcome and good luck.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclopsic View Post
            Hello world,

I'm a 19 year old Mech Engineering student who about a year ago bought my first Real project. . .

A Big, Mean, red '82 GS1100e for $650
            [ATTACH]22739[/ATTACH]

I'm already in love with the bike and I'm looking for some sage guidance on what direction I should move in restoring the bike.
            Firstly it has: 30k on the tac, new HD front tire, Bald lasertec rear, rusty Vance & Hines Exhaust, K&N Pod Filters, dirtbike grips (quick fix for old nasty, ill fitting, chinese crap), torn corbin seat, peeling clear coat, cracked blinker lenses, 630 chain with stock sprockets, leaky fork seals, slightly weeping headgasket.

Currently: it purrs like a kitten (after a long, eventful, carb clean), New chain, and battery but thats about it.

Im looking for some insight for restoring, and improving this gem,
            And all input is appreciated,
            Thanks
            Congratulations on the bike and your commitment to school. I assume you are a student of the starving kind (else you would be riding a Ducati), so first priority is to treat the bike as transportation and not a hobby. As a hobby, you will want to hop it up even more and you are looking at a money pit. Treat it like transportation and it will have minimal cost and be reliable.

A short list (most of this can be found in more detail with a search).
            • Buy some DeOxit spray (as you inspect wiring spray sparingly the contacts inside of the connectors)
            • Do the Quick Test and report the results (you will at least need to clean connections and add a ground of two)
            • If a stock R/R get the SH-775 ASAP.
            • Check or otherwise confirm the JETTING (should have a DJ 3133 kit) and report the settings
            • Check pods to see they are clean and lightly oiled. How do the plugs look?
            • Buy OEM/Cometic valve cover gasket and two O-rings for inner head bolts.
            • Adjust valves and check cam chain tension; Replace O-rings.
            • For me I use a FINE flat file and make sure the valve cover surface is flat before reinstall; they can warp and seep or split the gasket.
            • Check the brakes and fluid is clear.
            • Check the tires are properly inflated and good condition.
            • Check the sag and set preload.
            • Check the F forks you can either buy progressive springs or cut down what you have to improve the ride.
            • Check/change fork oil and set level as per manual.
            • While forks are apart check head set for notchy ness and backoff the nut to add some grease (replace as required).
            • Check grease in the swing arm ; make sure it is not dry.
            • Check wheel alignment, using string method. It is cheap and you never know about the OP.
            • Buy a APE clutch Super nut ($30) and clutch cover gasket. Dive in and check the clutch/hub for wear loose springs(post pictures for recommendations).

Be Careful riding the bike as it is fast, but in stock trim doesn't stop that fast or turn that well. If the OP did not butcher the electrical just make sure that all of the wiring is in good shap and properly secured. One connector under the tank for the gear indicator can chronically come apart
            Last edited by posplayr; 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X