A free bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A free bike

So I went and visited a buddy yesterday to pick up a 1976 RD400 basketcase from him. I originally owned it and then sold it to him when I moved away from Edmonton. He is now moving into his retirement condo and needing to clean out his garage and flog everything that won't fit into the new place. Along with the RD400, which I bought back from him, he gave me an almost 100% complete 1981 XV920 along with a bunch of other bits and pieces.

The load as I got it home:

The RD engine:

The RD came with a set of 28mm flat slide carbs, electronic ignition, chrome/nickel plated pipes and a custom set of Pro-Flo chambers that should nicely terrorize my neighbourhood when it is running again.

Now I just have to find the time to get all the work done...

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Good dealio , my very first bike I bought was a 1977 rd 400 it was red , I liked it a lot , but it always gave me problems running!!

Comment

I have seen a couple very cool cafe racers made from the XV920.
      There was even one on the track at Mosport a couple years ago.
      8" headlight still on yours?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

XV920s are cool. Weird and inloved, but pretty neat. At the time I bought a couple new leftover XJ650 Secas for $1695 each, I could have had those for the same price. Should have had one of each. What are you going to do with it? An I recall, they have an enclosed chain drive?
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          I have seen a couple very cool cafe racers made from the XV920.
          Like this one: http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-virago

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          8" headlight still on yours?
          Yep. The original one has a broken lens, but my buddy sourced a replacement for it.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          What are you going to do with it? An I recall, they have an enclosed chain drive?
          I'm not sure yet. I only took it because it was going to the dump if I didn't want it and I couldn't let that happen. I think it will eventually become a cafe bike of some sort, similar to the one I posted above.

Yes, the chain is enclosed. It looks pretty straightforward to remove that and leave it open.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
            Yes, the chain is enclosed. It looks pretty straightforward to remove that and leave it open.
            Why would you want to? Just so it could look like all the other chain drives on motorcycles?

In the shaft vs. chain debate the enclosed chain, IMHO, combines most of the best features of each. The chains last a very long time and require not much more maintenance than a shaft. At the same time you have the lighter weight and the flexibility to change your final drive ratio.

If I could get an enclosure for my 1100E I would do it. I got one for a 750 Honda I had many years ago but ended up trading the bike before I got it installed. I gave it to a friend who also had a 750 and he loved it. He rode to work at dusty and/or muddy construction sites but the chain stayed clean and lubed.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

XV920 is a very cool, quirky bike. Tons of potential, as in the pic posted above.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                Why would you want to? Just so it could look like all the other chain drives on motorcycles?
                Well, the enclosure is beyond hideous and I do like to see my chain. The enclosures also leak, which is worse than a clean chain, IMO. I always run an O-ring chain and keep it clean with WD-40. It never slings lube around and they last 30,000km. Just personal preference in the end I suppose.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Like Steve said a guy from quebec race one with VRRA.
                  Very unusual bike on a racetrack.
                  Marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

That's awesome man!

Comment

Fix them both up, you won't be sorry on either end!

Comment

I would pick the one you want to restore and part the other bike to fund the project.

Just my 2 cents
                        Last edited by srsupertrap; 06-10-2014, 10:51 PM.
                        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                          Fix them both up, you won't be sorry on either end!
                          Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                          I would pick the one you want to restore and part the other bike to fund the project.

Just my 2 cents
                          Well, I bought the RD back because I want it. The XV came for free because it was going to the dump and I couldn't let that happen. I have shed space for them both and promised my buddy I would take a run at the XV if he gave it to me. It is definitely a long term project, may sit for years before I get to it.

The RD is already being worked on and will see some serious attention this coming winter. Currently I am working on salty_monk's twin pot brake upgrade and new paint for my 82 1100E and that takes priority until it is done and the 1100 is back on the road.

Too many bikes, not enough time...

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                          X