Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born_Again

Hello...again...kindof
    Well I joined up about a year ago, under the name backfocus, Ive since lost that password and email...so..., I had bought a 1979 gs550 in Feburary of '13 in hopes of rebuilding for a Spring Renewal in '14. Needless to say things got tied up, I moved, got a new job and the bike was pushed out. It now sits in the garage covered, atleast I have a garage now, and awaits its rebirth. Getting anxious to ride again, I found on Craigslist,just a couple months after I bought the 550, a 1979 GS850 for a great price. I went to check it out and it was in pretty much perfect condition...given that it is over 30 yrs old. Just a couple of cosmetic flaws that aren't at all bothersome. Although some one had backed into and scared up some pieces here and there. The accident also caused a broken mirror and clutch handle. With a little mangineering I was able to take her for a ride, and boy did this baby purr. I drove her home that day from Marina Del Ray to my driveway in Eagle Rock, almost 20 or so miles. I took it to my local shop just to have a look at and they suggested some minor safety upgrades and tune up. And there she is....
    So really only 2 questions, one is more of a poll and the other is a mechanical question...
    1. I would like to do just a couple of changes to this bike; handlebars, instrument cluster, carbs, and so other small changes...question would be Is it more practical to keep this bike stock completely, or little changes aren't going to hinder its value.
    2. Last night I went to start her and the choke cable would not budge. I did research and the first thing I will check when i get home will be the tension adjuster in the bars themself. Other than that I'm not to excited of having to bust the carbs open if its in there. I'm pretty sure the shop replaced my cable when I took it in the first time.
    On the other hand I havent had a bit of trouble with this bike, she's a dream.
    Thanks ahead of time!!!
    altdotape

Beautiful machine. I'd like to test ride an 850G some day.

Anywho, as to question #1: It is typically (but not always) the case that a vintage motorcycle's value goes up the closer it is to stock. Buyers will pay more for what they see as an unmolested example of a bike. That also means the chrome, paint, etc are also in good condition. Performance upgrades can add value, but only to a point. (Suspension, oil coolers, bored cylinders: yes. Pod filters and a chopped exhaust, no.) And no modifications will add value proportional to what you paid for them. Comfort modifications and farkles tend to subtract value.

Now, all that said, you're never going to get mad moniez selling a Suzuki GS850 anyway. They're not rare or collectible even in tip-top shape. If you want to modify it to suit you, do what you like. If you go swapping out the seat, handlebars, instruments, and whatever, hang on to the stock parts so that if you sell the bike, you can offer them with the bike and probably get a slightly better price for it.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome, nice 850 Post more pics, never too many.

Comment

I changed the bars on my GS750, and painted the motor fins to suit my taste. I'm happy with both changes...it increases my enjoyment of the bike, and I can't imagine it making a hill of beans difference in value. It'd be pretty easy to add the stock bars back.

FWIW, the vast majority of others who've seen them have liked those minor changes too.
        Last edited by knotscott; 06-05-2014, 08:18 AM.
        '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
        '73 CB350 - 1st ride
        '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
        '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Working...
        X