Bike won't Charge even w/ stator + r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't Charge even w/ stator + r/r

Hello all... as the title states the bike won't go over 12v charging at any RPM. Is this even possible? I mean what the heck. I've tried multiple known good batteries and one brand new battery. This is beyond me. Stator wires are hooked up directly to r/r and rr has black to ground and red to +. it's a shendegen mosfet rr. I even swapped with another brand new rr. I'm stumped guys has anyone ever heard of such a thing? 1976 CB360T is the bike
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

I don't know anything about the charging system on a CB360, but it is in the same era as the early GSes. The early GSes had 12-pole stators. Later GSes had 18-pole stators. If you bought a newer stator and installed it in your older bike, it will NOT charge. The number of poles on the stator HAS to match the number of magnets on the rotor. Yours could possibly be the same thing?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What does your multimeter show? Hard to guess without that little tidbit of information.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        What does your multimeter show? Hard to guess without that little tidbit of information.
        just a Quick Test.

Comment

Pg. 155

Looks like your alternator is single phase.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

IIRC, the most common charging problem on ye olde Honders is the rectifier.

Be aware that the charging system is NOTHING (well, not much) like that on a GS, so you may be barking up some totally different trees.

I have no idea what one should expect from hooking up a MOSFET R/R.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              IIRC, the most common charging problem on ye olde Honders is the rectifier.

Be aware that the charging system is NOTHING (well, not much) like that on a GS, so you may be barking up some totally different trees.

I have no idea what one should expect from hooking up a MOSFET R/R.
              If the alternator is PM single phase then ant 5 wire regulator will work you just end up with a spare stator wire. If it is a field controlled unit then, best to find a different regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Bike with key on sits at 11.3, idling at 11.5, and at 5k rpm and up she reads 12.5 So the bike is charging but VERY WEAK. Thanks guys for input i read all posts. I have a brand new OEM Stator put in, with a new r/r. Each stator leg read around 13v even when revved up. Seemed very low so the last hope i have is that the magnetic rotor is weak i have a known good one coming in the mail soon. I will definitely keep you guys posted as this one has been killing me for weeks, most of the time i just been messing with the wiring.
                Originally posted by tkent02
                That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                John 3:16

Comment

Working...
                X