Hello, my name is Hedonaut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, my name is Hedonaut

And I'm a recovering Honda guy. Every bike I've had up to now has been a Honda. I loved Hondas. My first bike was a cb350. My first street legal bike was a cb750c. I then did the cruiser thing on an '83 Shadow 750 and discovered I don't dig that styling and riding position, despite the Shadow being a very upright cruiser. When it was time to move on from the Shadow I decided I wanted a light touring bike (relative to touring bikes) that did better than 40mpg with a bike gas tank. I test rode a few cb900cs and was convinced I'd end up with one. In my search I came across a gs850g that needed some love for a very reasonable price. On a lark, I checked it out. What I found was the most comfortable seat that had ever graced my buttocks. I was in hiney heaven, however, she had some running problems. About half way home, when I put the engine under a hard load going up a hill, it started to backfire horribly. I had noticed a backfire on the gentler test ride and figured the carbs were gummed a bit. I've since come to discover this bike needs much more than I originally expected (my dumb mistake). After the initial heartbreak, I found your forum and got to work. The resources here have turned my project into a pleasure. I'm genuinely fired up about getting this bike off and running better than it did in 1980. I love the model, I love what I've seen in this community, and I'm really looking forward to riding the hell out of this bike. Currently, the tank and seat are off, along with the carbs and airbox. I'm nearly finished dipping the carbs and making my repairs. New o-rings have been purchased and I'm chasing down some airbox bits. Tonight or tomorrow I'll be checking the valves and putting in an order for the appropriate shims and gasket (as a full kit is way out of reach with all the other parts it needs). I'll also be hunting for a new exhaust pipe set at some point as PO cut the mufflers off (why the hell do people do this?). I've got some pics in an album below. Nice to meet you folks. http://imgur.com/a/yoD1b FTR the garage was already equipped with the old man. He wasn't included with the bike. ((How does one separate paragraphs on here?))
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM. Reason: posting format

Originally posted by Hedonaut View Post
    ((How does one separate paragraphs on here?))
    By smacking the enter key. (<CR>)

Like this...
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I put big spaces between them, but for some reason it didn't show. All the same, howdy.

Comment

I put big spaces between them, but for some reason it didn't show. All the same, howdy.
        the website removes spaces apparently to save memory. CR only take one space and are allowed.

Comment

How does one separate paragraphs on here?
          Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          By smacking the enter key.
          Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          the website removes spaces apparently to save memory. CR only take one space and are allowed.
          Actually, "smacking the enter key" TWICE will put space between the pictures, too, making them even easier to view.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. Great bike you found.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Very nice bike you've got there. I'm digging the way those bags look on it, at least from this angle.

Comment

What I found was the most comfortable seat that had ever graced my buttocks. I was in hiney heaven...... http://imgur.com/a/yoD1b
                FWIW, that's not a stock seat. Almost looks like an "L" seat on a regular 850 frame or a heavy mod on a stock seat pan...

Comment

Welcome to the 'other side'
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

FWIW, that's not a stock seat. Almost looks like an "L" seat on a regular 850 frame or a heavy mod on a stock seat pan...
                    Well, I suppose I've lucked out, then. It's a great seat. Even so, the riding position is right on. It's very upright like any good UJM improved by nice swept bars. I think with highway pegs and a fat pack to use as a back rest this will make for a good highway bike.

As a side note, javascript is required to separate paragraphs. Who would have known?

Comment

What web browser are you using?
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The 850G is considered by many to be one of the best motorcycles ever made. (I have an 850GL which is very similar, but I might trade it up for a G one day if the right deal comes along.) Yours looks like it's had some... err, customization. If you plan to run with only headers and no exhaust, you might have to play the carburetor jetting game in order to get it running right.

Welcome!
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Yours looks like it's had some... err, customization. If you plan to run with only headers and no exhaust, you might have to play the carburetor jetting game in order to get it running right.
                          No no no... I hate the sound of straight pipes. I'm hunting for a nice set of stock pipes. Failing that I'll start looking aftermarket. That was a PO thing.

What web browser are you using?
                          Firefox, I just had javascript disabled and had forgotten to make an exception for GSR.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, the seat has definitely been changed into an L seat. Was a Honda man myself for quite a while until I bought a 82 1100L and never looked back, I like the feel and ride of the classics.

Working on these old machines is really easy compared to the modern bikes controlled by computers. The best that I can do on my 919 is basic maintenance. If it dies on the road....well that is why I have triple A.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment