first bike 80 suzuki gs450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first bike 80 suzuki gs450l

Hey everyone! Got my first bike about a month ago. Long story short I got it from a guy for 200 bucks because it's pretty rough. He told me it hadn't ran for a year and his assumption was that after a battery cbarge and carb cleaning it would be good to go. So needless to say I've been having fun doing the basics wrenching on it after work with the little time I have. Charged battery, new plugs, checked air filter, checked oil...looked clean, tank looked clean. Went to fire it up and nothing... pushed start and not a sound. Did some research and think it might be starter relay so ordered one from eBay for 10 bucks. Hope it works

Best of luck!

How many miles on the clock?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's almost certainly not the relay, but anything is possible. The answer you seek is here, someplace.

Before you go too far, adjust the valves.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check the position of the "kill" switch on the right handlebar.

Buddy
        09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
        83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
        81 GS650G for the wife.
        82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
        I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
        If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
        Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

There is a clutch switch that will keep it from starting too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Shows how much I know about motorcycles....lol. held clutch in while starting and it turned right over. The thing is Frickin loud!!! Had a little smoke coming off side of engine but I'm guessing it could be fumes from the mystery oil I was polishing it with. Too late right now to run it for long, afraid I'm gonna wake up my daughter. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Next problem is my dad and I pulled the chain off the other day to clean without realizing how hard that sicker is to get back on the front sprocket. Any ideas on how to do this without alot of tearing down? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
                Next problem is my dad and I pulled the chain off the other day to clean without realizing how hard that sicker is to get back on the front sprocket. Any ideas on how to do this without alot of tearing down? Thanks
                You have to remove the front sprocket cover to put the chain back on.
                It's just a cover, no oil or gasket to fuss with. When you reinstall the cover, don't torque the screws down more than about 6 or 8 ft lbs. They is small and youse can wring'em off or strip them if you go gorilla. heh
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hi, Kilmanley ! Not bad for $200 if she's a runner!
                  Barbecue paint(from a can) will make those pipes look better for the summer

Comment

Kyle,

Where are you located?

Go to UserCP and add your genral location to your user profile, and add bike model / year in signature line. THen those show up in every post.

Seem like a deal for 200 bucks, especailly now that it is running.

Maybe that muffler isnt really a muffler, is just nothing inside.

Last edited by Redman; 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X