Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good Honda forum, like our GS Resources??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a good Honda forum, like our GS Resources??

Going to clean & rebuild the carbs on my friends 1984 Honda Magna V65 (VF1100C). It's been sitting for several years & he wnats it get it running so he can sell it.

I know nothing about Hondas...

Does anyone know of a good on-line Honda forum where I can go to find technical info & ask stupid questions?

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Here's the place you want to go:

Save yourself the time and headache, once you've taken off and reinstalled a set of V4 carbs, you'll never want to do it again. Send them off to Billy Carr in East Texas and he will hook you up! He's done AT LEAST 2 dozens sets of V65 carbs for me over the last 10 years and everyone has been PERFECT! He's got his own separate thread on the forum called "Billy's Place" with his contact information. Everything you ever wanted to know about the V65 is on that forum somewhere, great place to hang out!
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
      Here's the place you want to go:

Save yourself the time and headache, once you've taken off and reinstalled a set of V4 carbs, you'll never want to do it again. Send them off to Billy Carr in East Texas and he will hook you up! He's done AT LEAST 2 dozens sets of V65 carbs for me over the last 10 years and everyone has been PERFECT! He's got his own separate thread on the forum called "Billy's Place" with his contact information. Everything you ever wanted to know about the V65 is on that forum somewhere, great place to hang out!
      Thanks for the info, I appreciate it...

I've rebuilt a set of V45 (750) carbs a couple of years ago & they weren't that bad... but I didn't have to remove/reinstal them.

Since I don't have a service manual I'm sure I'll be spending a fair amount of time over of that Honda site!
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Sorry Mike, but there is no place like the GSR!
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Good Honda?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Thanks for the info, I appreciate it...

I've rebuilt a set of V45 (750) carbs a couple of years ago & they weren't that bad... but I didn't have to remove/reinstal them.

Since I don't have a service manual I'm sure I'll be spending a fair amount of time over of that Honda site!
            i did a set of 750 magna carbs many years ago...priced the job at 150.00 and the girl showed up within an hour...odd i thought till she told local dealership wanted 350.00 to do the job...ugh!
            it was a nightmare(remove/install) plus i had to do it twice..my bad but was the last set of V4 carbs i ever touched.

Comment

I've removed/reinstalled dozens of V65 carbs, and it's NEVER easy, it's almost a 2 person job. In fact, I won't even attempt it anymore without a second set of hands. The carb boots have to be in the exact right place, at the exact right angle, and you have to push/shove/squeeze them to get them in. By yourself, it's tough, with a couple guys, it's not too bad. Heck, I've seen guys use ratchet straps to force them in, although I personally would not use this method, as you can very easily break your plenum. Regardless, the V65 Magna is an awesome motorcycle, one of my all time favorites!!!
              Current stable:

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
                I've removed/reinstalled dozens of V65 carbs, and it's NEVER easy, it's almost a 2 person job. In fact, I won't even attempt it anymore without a second set of hands. The carb boots have to be in the exact right place, at the exact right angle, and you have to push/shove/squeeze them to get them in. By yourself, it's tough, with a couple guys, it's not too bad. Heck, I've seen guys use ratchet straps to force them in, although I personally would not use this method, as you can very easily break your plenum. Regardless, the V65 Magna is an awesome motorcycle, one of my all time favorites!!!
                OK now I'm getting nervous...

How hard is a valve adjustment? I'm planning to do that as well. Do I need OEM valve cover gaskets, or will aftermarket ones work OK?

And while we're at it, any well know pitfalls I I should avoid, or be aware of?

TIA

mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Good Honda?
                  From what I read, that model is pretty solid - fastest production of it's year (1984).

This one's not in bad shape really, just sat for too long...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Sorry Mike, but there is no place like the GSR!
                    You are absolutely correct Ed !! Nothing on the interweb seems even close.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      OK now I'm getting nervous...

How hard is a valve adjustment? I'm planning to do that as well. Do I need OEM valve cover gaskets, or will aftermarket ones work OK?

And while we're at it, any well know pitfalls I I should avoid, or be aware of?

TIA

mike
                      1st bike shop i worked for the owner was a certified honda tech..
                      he had a tool for the V4 engines that would grab the cam and lift it up so the valves could be adjusted properly.
                      i guess what i'm saying is the cams have room to move in the cam saddles and if you adjust without the special tool the valves will still be loose.
                      now...i'm not sure if this is all honda V4's or only certain years/models.

Comment

They are notorious for bad 2nd gears, so if you can't test ride it, consider it a parts bike, 500 bucks or so at best depending on overall condition, I've bought TONS of them for this much. The valve adjustment is not too bad, detailed instructions on the forum. I've reused valve cover gaskets, but you can still find NOS ones around, not the rarest part to find for them.
                        Current stable:

Comment

Bad second gear? Never heard that one! I know the cams wore out due to insufficient oiling. My mechanic friend had a special length of 2X4 that he had labelled "V65 Magna Carb Tool" with felt pen.
                          I got rid of mine when the clutch was starting to go, the cams were wearing badly and I just about had my GS750 back on the road after a rebuild. That was back when I thought, "Why have more than one street bike?" DOH!
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Starter clutches on that bike are EASY, 30 minute job. Bad 2nd gear requires engine removal and case splitting, just like the VMAX. If you can go WOT in 2nd gear without it jumping out, you're in good shape. The cam issues were not as bad as everyone says, and I don't believe in the top end oiling mods either, just a waste of money IMHO. I've had probably a hundred V65 Magnas over the years and have only seen a handful with bad cams, but many more with bad 2nd gears!
                            Current stable:

Comment

Just a quick update - I've dipped & cleaned all the carb parts for this beast and they’re now waiting for re-assembly and installation back on the bike – can’t wait.

BTW- check out the mouse-house I found in the airbox!

Ended up buying a carb re-build kit with SS fasteners from Billy Carr over at the http://v4hondabbs.com site. Thanks 83GS1100E_Tornado for pointing me there!! Billy certainly knows his Hondas. The kit comes with a DVD full of helpful info & videos plus the OEM service manual too. Talked to him on the phone a few times as well, really nice guy.

Also picked up a new OEM air filter, clutch cover gasket, oil & fuel filters & a set of spark plug wires with new NGK caps.

Interesting to note that the 3-wire plug connector from the RR is melted, just like ours!

One little issue though... during the carb clean process I "misplaced" (Ok, lost) a Keihin #118 main jet. These are the small round ones. Would anyone happen to have one lying around he or she could mail me? Otherwise I'll order one from the Honda dealer in the next town but I can see already that Honda parts are more expensive that Suzuki parts...

Also I think I'll be getting up-close & personal with the hydraulic clutch system, as it doesn't seem to do anything when the clutch lever is pulled. Looks like a clutch MC & slave cylinder re-build is in order…
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X