Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site

Hi all,
    Been lurking around here for quite some time and thought Id join in.
    Probably won't post much but you never know and I felt an intro was appropriate.
    I have a few bikes in various states of disrepair, but my main rider for the last 27 yrs is a 84 GS1150. Its has gone though several changes over the years and is currently running 1260 pistons, 1mm over valves and some port work, Web .370 lift cams 190 grind (shorter duration), 38mm cv carbs and a bastardized mac/vance and Hines exhaust.
    Its been a fairly faithful companion and I have many great memories with it.
    Longest one day trip was from the Apostle Islands in northern Wisconsin to Milwaukee Wisconsin, 11 hours in the saddle with only 2 stops, Im way to old for that now
    Haven't had as much riding time in the last few years but I do get a couple hours a weekend in and enjoy very second.
    Seen some really nice bikes here!
    Love the GS1000 from England and Australia always want one of those.
    And I would love an old Kat 1000.
    Came home from northern Wisconsin with the family a couple weeks ago and saw a guy trucking a MINT NX85, it was spectacular, he got off the same exist as me and I almost wanted to follow just to see where it was going but I'm sure the family unit would have killed me!
    Great site, great info, lets keep those GS's rolling!

Joe H

Welcome joe,

You sound very experienced with motors. I couldn't or probably wouldn't do an 11-hr ride now. I enjoy riding but a 300 mile trip would suit me just fine atm.

Enjoy your way around here and post pics.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hi ya, Joe.
      The GS as a "faithful companion"? I like the sound of that.
      Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I couldn't or probably wouldn't do an 11-hr ride now.
        Ive taken a more than a few long rides but that one was a one time event I would never repeat! It was over 20 yr ago the bike ran flawlessly!
        I haven't done any long rides now for a long time. Kids, wife, work, life... all good, but does cut into ones personal time
        Please don't judge the disaster in the garage it to is in various states of disrepair
        Funny thing is I am a builder/carpenter by trade , Ive built many sheds, garages, act for others just not for myself. Im running out of room!
        As far as experience , I can follow directions well, I know experienced people who have helped me out over the years, and I'm not afraid to make mistakes (as long as they can be fixed, although a few have cost $$$$) thats about it, besides these bikes are really easy to work on nothing complex about them, thats why there so great!

[URL=http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/uhsmuk/media/B6E62108-EA52-4569-87E0-BD990CC6A460_zpsqukccrl4.jpg.html][URL=http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/uhsmuk/media/3afecbf1-286a-4ba4-83e5-7e089a15c7bd_zpsfb656d1b.jpg.html]

Comment

Beautiful bike!

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome here Joe,
            One sweet ride there my friend.

Comment

Wow! Nice Bike!

Thanks for sharing pics...uh, what mess? That garage looks lived in (as it's suppose to).

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I agree, garage looks fine/normal.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                  Longest one day trip was from the Apostle Islands in northern Wisconsin to Milwaukee Wisconsin, 11 hours in the saddle with only 2 stops, ...
                  Not sure if you ride slowly or wander like I do.

It's less than 400 miles, should have taken about 6 1/2 hours.

I have been known to travel from the Los Angeles area to a rally in central New Mexico ... via Washington DC.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[QUOTE]It's less than 400 miles, should have taken about 6 1/2 hours./QUOTE]

It wasn't to slow but VERY meandering.
                    I was with a friend who was from Florida he had a 750 Night hawk he trailered up to Milwaukee and we took of from there. It took us about 7 hours to get there on a friday we stayed over in Bayfield and Saturday spent the day riding and seeing the sites took the fairy to Madaline Island. Stayed again in Bayfield and planned a route back with no numbered highways. It was a good idea until about 8 hours into it and we had gotten so far of the beaten path it seemed like we would never get back!
                    I should say we did stop for fuel a few times but it was gas and go, we had two stops one for lunch and one for dinner, so we waisted a some time with that also.

Two things I remember most; we arrived at the peak of the Mayfly hatch, it was unimaginable, you had to wipe the critters goo off your visitor because you couldn't see, and then you could only make out shapes. We were lucky enough to be very near our destination Fri night when it happened. We stopped for gas and you couldn't see the numbers on the pump because there were so many flys on it!
                    The other was the look we got from the Hotel manager when we showed up, two 20 yr olds covered in Mayfly goo one with a florida plate. Both of us with long hair and unshaven. He asked us to be respectful of the guests! Like we weren't really guests:roll eyes: I almost thought he wasn't going to let us stay.
                    So many freaking memories with that bike I think if it ever does finally die Ill just keep it to sit on (or maybe near if I can't get my leg over it)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                      Hi all,
                      Been lurking around here for quite some time and thought Id join in.
                      Probably won't post much but you never know and I felt an intro was appropriate.
                      I have a few bikes in various states of disrepair, but my main rider for the last 27 yrs is a 84 GS1150. .....
                      Joe, Welcome to GSR.

I do not know where Eagle WI is to know how far it would be for you to go to southern Indiana. Do look in MeetingPlace for the TIna Wasserott Brown County rally that is in two weeks.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome from a fellow 1150 owner. Beautifu cycle you have there....27 years...wow. I guess you bought it nearly new...great job on the upkeep.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hello again. i just had a minute to more closely check out your cycle. Couple of questions...What rear shock are you using, and has the rear wheel been widened? Just curious...I also like the blacked out passenger peg carriers and swingarm.
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM. Reason: misspell
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Good eye dorkburger and thank you, It was three yrs old when I bought it and it was actually in worse condition.
                            The PO had thought he knew how to make it "go fast"
                            So the original exhaust was changed, not bad, but he ran it with no baffle and no carb or air box mods, and its always best to tighten up the screw adjusters on the rockers so they just make contact with the valves when the valves are closed
                            Oh, and make sure you strip every valve cover bolt and brake off and or strip at least every other exhaust manifold bolt
                            And as your taking it apart just RIP the body panels off, those tabs and bolts are unimportant!
                            Anyway it was great price and it did run and it came with the complete Suzuki dealer shop manual, good tires and chain. At the time I had little money and lots of time. So I spent the next couple weeks getting it running correctly, jet kit, baffle, helicoils, tune up. I was stunned at how fast it was when it ran right!
                            A friend traded my help on his roof for him to powder coat selected parts.
                            I had the rear widened by a local guy, very similar to Kossman, its 5.5"x18"
                            I can get a 170 on it 180 rubs just a bit.
                            The shock is a Works performance, Im a pretty big guy so it was a major improvement along with Progressive fork springs.

Thanks for the invite Dave I haven't been at a meet or on a long ride in a very long time, life keeps my schedule full for the time being. In the next few years with the kids getting older I am hoping to be able to do it again!

Comment

Sound like a lot of PO stories.....

Heres the ongoing saga of mine....
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                              X