Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with GS300L

Hello everyone!

I have been rocking a 1982 GS300L I picked up for $700 for the past couple years. I know that is probably too much to pay but it is pretty hard to find decent small displacement bikes for under $1500 around this area... when you do they are rough and/or chopped up. I bought it unmolested original with 4070 miles. The cool thing is it wasn't ridden much, the sucky thing is... it wasn't ridden much. The brakes appeared original and so did everything else... The bike ran okay but really needed a tune up and new tires.

Really I went through the whole thing, replaced rubber and parts that were dry rotted and upgraded little things. I tried to use SGP any time I could especially engine related parts. Now the bike runs great! Basscliff's website is a valuable resource I often referenced while wrenching.

There are a few things I did upgrade...
    • mufflers (emgo Dunstall reverse cone)
    • windshield (Maier)
    • H4 headlight conversion (easier to find lamps)
    • horns (stock horn isn't loud enough)
    • aftermarket rectifier (I read the stock ones are prone to failure?)
    • battery (gel cell lacks the stupid drain tube)
    • mini ATO fuse conversion (for reliability)

I don't know if the luggage rack is original... it came with the bike.

Anywho here is what it looks like...Click here since the photo is pretty large

You have a cool website and I hope to learn stuff here.

Beautiful 300! Looks like new!!

(I see lots of chopped smaller bikes around here, too. On CL, of course.)

1979 GS1000

Comment

Hey, that's a pretty cool little L. Haven't seen many of those, yours is a quite a nice example. I really dig that color for some reason. Don't know what "this area" is, but $700 for most any bike in that condition is very good deal.

Welcome!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks! I live in southwest Ohio. A lot of bikes for sale are typically basket cases or destroyed by the PO trying to make it a café racer or Harley look a like. Not dissing café racers, there are a lot of good looking ones, but some people should not own a reciprocating saw if you know what I mean!

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Man, that is nice.
          The condition of the seat really caught my attention.
          And the paint, and the chrome.

Originally posted by BiomedDR View Post
          .. I live in southwest Ohio. .....
          Hey, that would not be too far from S.W. Indinia. Look in meeting place for the rally in two weeks. Get there Thursday evening for rides on Fri & Sat (or Friday evening for ride on Saturday).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

that IS nice! I don't think $700 is too much for a bike as you described it. I think you got a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Welcome to GSR.

Man, that is nice.
              The condition of the seat really caught my attention.
              And the paint, and the chrome.

Hey, that would not be too far from S.W. Indinia. Look in meeting place for the rally in two weeks. Get there Thursday evening for rides on Fri & Sat (or Friday evening for ride on Saturday).

The seat is great only has a small tear in a seam. Not sure how I can fix it since it seems like a vinyl. I did have to polish out the chrome and paint since it sat a lot. Luckily it wasn't too bad and was stored inside for most of it's life

I usually work on weekends also, I'll have to see what my schedule is

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              that IS nice! I don't think $700 is too much for a bike as you described it. I think you got a deal.

I'm glad to hear that since at the time it was a diamond in the rough. When I rebuilt the carbs it appeared that a gorilla tried to work on them at one time because she ran really fat...... I had to replace the main jets, they appeared damaged..like someone poked a metal object in there at some point.

After an ultrasonic cleaning and all new jets she runs like new

Comment

Originally posted by BiomedDR View Post
                some people should not own a reciprocating saw if you know what I mean!
                Dam things oughta be outlawed or at least have a background check before purchase..dam i see way too many GAWDAMED BOBBERS

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                  Dam things oughta be outlawed or at least have a background check before purchase..dam i see way too many GAWDAMED BOBBERS
                  lol the more modding typically the more uncomfortable and impractical it becomes... This little bike is very practical! I can carry home a week's groceries, a case of beer, and a woman on the back.

Comment

Working...
                  X