Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member in Michigan

Hello All,

I recently joined with the intent of finding out as much as I could about the GS750 and GS850, and I'm completely amazed at how much information there is on this site and the other links provided. Thank you to all who provide that. Currently I own a 2007 Royal Enfield Military and if that wasn't enough punishment itself, I'm seriously considering calling on this ad nearby.

I've never tried to resurrect a bike before.......

I've owned plenty of other bikes in the past, mostly Honda's, and a Bandit 1200 a few years ago. I'm currently rummaging through this site trying to answer the few questions I have so far. I am trying to determine if the bike in the ad is indeed a 1982 model or in fact a 1981 model. After searching through here, I think its a 1981, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, thanks again for the information and I look forward to being a member here. Thanks, Paul

Welcome, glad to see more MI people. Looks like a clean bike, offer $500. The second generation 750 isn't as desirable of the 750's. But still a good bike.
    1984 GS550ES
    Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
    4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

Welcome to the site, Paul.
      He may have bought it in '82 but it is an '81.
      The knowledge on this site amazes even those of us that have been here a while.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'd hit it, looks like a Heck of a nice bike even for the full asking price.

If the engine croaks, put in an 1100 engine, no brainer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

16V Second Gen

Well, I'm not from Michigan but I do have some feedback about a second generation 750 with a 16V. EXCELLENT BIKE!

I own an 82 "T" and I love her. I love her so much...take a look at my sig and see what I've added to improve her performance.

An opportunity brought me to NM from DE and I have enjoyed my stay and met a fellow GSer named MrBill who has helped me with the improvements on my bike.

That's a great deal on that bike. MrBill's bike has a 1980 and looks very similar to it. Good luck!

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I agree, it looks like an '81. Looks great, price is right, only troubling thing (big thing) is "not running."
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It would be much simpler to buy one that's already running and sorted, but I think I'd like to try and bring one back. It could be fun, probably frustrating and will likely cost twice as much as just buying a nice one to begin with.........so why am I doing this again? I was thinking of checking it out soon and if the chrome and paint is good and the mechanicals seem salvageable, maybe I'll take the plunge. I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as price goes, I think he is a little over. He's had the ad up now for a while with no takers, he finally added pictures and dropped the price a few days ago. Selling a bike that doesn't run and hasn't in 2 years can't be easy.

Comment

Clean the carbs, adjust the valves, change the oil and filter and toss in a new battery and I bet it'll fire right up.

Comment

Originally posted by BanditRE View Post
                  Selling a bike that doesn't run and hasn't in 2 years can't be easy.
                  I think the bigger problem is the age, 33 years old and that were in the middle of riding season. Most people that were looking for any kind of good deal to get into riding have already bought a bike and likely it was a newer bike.

These old GS'es you either have to find someone who's looking for one otherwise you almost have to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                    Clean the carbs, adjust the valves, change the oil and filter and toss in a new battery and I bet it'll fire right up.
                    That's what I'm hoping for. Assuming it works out that way, I'll spend some time on brake lines, checking the charging circuit, and the other common problems mentioned on this site. I'd really like to replace the square headlight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                      These old GS'es you either have to find someone who's looking for one otherwise you almost have to give it away.
                      That may work out well for me then!

Comment

If you get the bike PM me. I'm also a new member in Madison Heights, MI with my first bike, a 1981 Suzuki GS650 that I found on craigslist last October. I rode my bike home though!

Comment

(accidentally duplicated a post somehow)
                          Last edited by eil; 06-12-2014, 01:36 PM.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Woah, Michiganders coming out of the woodwork in this thread!

BanditRE, if the bike looks almost as good in person as it does in the photos, and nothing in particular is wrong with it, then it's worth his asking price all day long. I bought the same bike (different color) last fall and it is a great machine. A little bulky maybe, but fun to ride.

If you go to inspect it, at least make sure the engine turns over without any nasty noises. If it does, chances are pretty good that there aren't any expensive surprises inside.

Welcome!
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm due to go see it tonight, although I'm told there's someone going to see it at just before me. You never know if thats true or not. I'll let you know what comes of it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X