New GS Owner - Vancouver Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner - Vancouver Island

Haven't quite figured it out yet, but after not riding for more then 20 years I decided to take a motorcycle course and get back to riding. Its been along time, and I am really glad I took the motorcycle course! But its coming back pretty quick and I am really enjoying myself. Last week I was pretty lucky to pick up a GS650G is pretty good condition. I will post photos in acouple of days, but I have looked the bike over and after adjusting every control on the bike, it seems to be pretty good. The only obvious things missing/wrong with it are the seat is dried out completely (Already ordered a new cover), and the fuel sender unit seems to have failed.
    I have talked it over with the wife, and I think I am just going to enjoy riding the bike for the rest of this summer, and when the rain comes I am going to put the bike into the shop and tear it down to do a semi-restoration of the bike.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself quickly, and give you all and advance notice I might be picking your brains for your opinions and experiences fixing these motorcycles.

Cheers,
    Shawn.

Welcome to GSR Shawn.Quite a few of us here on the lower Island.Did you pick up that 650G that was on UsedVic?There have been a couple of nice looking ones for sale recently.

Comment

Welcome here!

Comment

Hi, Shawn! yes, post a picture! and
        Don't forget to click the "New Members Click Here" thread and goto BassCliff's site. sooo much there for you!

Comment

Hi Shawn, welcome to the forum.
          As Greg (Svsooke) mentioned there is quite a few gs guys in the Victoria area. Where are you?
          Cheers,
          Trevor
          No signature

Comment

Welcome!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Welcome to GSR Shawn.Quite a few of us here on the lower Island.Did you pick up that 650G that was on UsedVic?There have been a couple of nice looking ones for sale recently.

Yes, UsedVic is exactly where I found it. I believe this bike was listed only for about 12 Hrs. I went and looked at 4 or 5 other listings on usedvic, and most of them were total junk. I like to tinker and work on stuff, but I wanted something that is ridable this year, and maybe work on it during the rainy season.

Shawn.

Comment

Welcome to the site Shawn. Great bike you have there, a number of guys on here will attest to that. I remember the UsedVic ad for that bike, looked to be a good deal for someone. You'll probably run into a few of use around town, once you get one of these GSes you start to notice how many of them are around here. Welcome to the site.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Hi Shawn, welcome to the forum.
                  As Greg (Svsooke) mentioned there is quite a few gs guys in the Victoria area. Where are you?
                  Cheers,
                  Trevor

I am in Langford, just outside Bear moutain (off of Florance lake Rd.)

Shawn.

Comment

oh ya, if your 'fuel sender unit' aka petcock has failed be careful there's no fuel getting into your oil.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hey Shawn. Welcome to the forum... But stay away from these two characters ! They're serious trouble !!

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn68z View Post
                        But its coming back pretty quick and I am really enjoying myself.
                        As they say "It's like riding a bike" right?

Plenty of support here for you in Canada from the looks of it!
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                          oh ya, if your 'fuel sender unit' aka petcock has failed be careful there's no fuel getting into your oil.

Sorry, I meant the Fuel Gauge sender unit, the petcock seems to be working fine. I pulled the tank and side panels to do some digging on the bike, and have found some misc. stuff missing (lots of rubber bushing/isolation mounts, etc), and acouple electrical wires just floating around. Pretty sure they are for the gauge, but I want to confirm that before hooking them up.

Cheers,
                          Shawn.

Comment

I've done a lot of digging into my 650G. It's turned out to be a great ride.

What year is yours?

When you say the fuel sending unit has failed, do you mean it is not showing the level of gas in the tank? The wires for those are black and green/yellow, if I remember correctly, and there should be matching bullets somewhere near your fuse box, or lower down at the bottom of the battery box.

One thing I'd definitely recommend, and it won't take much, is to check the valves before riding. It's about a 1/2h job to check the clearances, but make sure you have a valve cover gasket handy. If it's dried out, it's also likely adhered to at least one surface, and will tear when you try removing the cover.

Derrick
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              One thing I'd definitely recommend, and it won't take much, is to check the valves before riding. It's about a 1/2h job to check the clearances, but make sure you have a valve cover gasket handy. If it's dried out, it's also likely adhered to at least one surface, and will tear when you try removing the cover.
                              Ok thanks for the advice. I just finished "aquiring" the owners manual, and service manual for the bike, and it has the procedure listed. Did some reading on the subject and it sounds like all sorts of issues can happen when the clearance is out of spec. Mine is a 1982.

Cheers,
                              Shawn.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X