Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner of a 1982 GS750E

Hey all!
    My name is AJ or Anthony (my real name), and as the title says, I'm a new owner (one week already) of a 1982 GS750E. So far, it's been a good journey. I'm very excited about getting my bike in optimal working order. I've already posted some, but I thought I should properly introduce myself. I'm very new to mechanical/electrical things, and working on bikes. That's why I got this bike, it's a project and I knew I would need a lot of help. That's also why I joined here, because I've heard great things about the amount of help you all offer. So far, I've gotten a ton of help, and I can't be any more appreciative already! All I ask is to be patient with my "dumb" questions because I'm a super newbie, and am also working on my bike with my dad. I'm 21, and trying to take advantage of all this knowledge I want to learn about bikes and how they work. I'm from SW VA, so if anyone wants to ride in the area, let me know. Thanks for the help so far, and in the future!

An official welcome, AJ. This is an incredibly good forum, with massive depth of technical know-how. I love learning about these bikes, and this is the best place to do so.

Cheers!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Congrats on the new acqisition AJ. Now post some pics of that new bike!
      '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
      '73 CB350 - 1st ride
      '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
      '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum. It's great that you get to work on such a cool project with your father. Relish every moment of it and take lots of pictures and/or videos. This time spent with him will mean a lot to you some day.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Read GS Stator and the GS Charging Health, both in my signature

Comment

Thanks all! And would it be better to just post the albums I've put on Imgur for my bike? They have write ups for what I've done to it so far. Of course, I need to take more pictures for the progress Ive done this week.

Comment

Day 1 with the new bike: http://imgur.com/a/kDm6A
              The first weekend: http://imgur.com/a/1UAtL

Let me know what ya think!

Comment

Nice

Love the Suzuki mud flap on the front wheel !!

Comment

Thanks! I actually like it too, is that stock?

Comment

So I've been thinking ever since I bought my GS, did I get a good deal on her? What do you all think? I paid $450, and it wasn't running. It ran once a new battery was in it though! I also have a project thread going on for it now, if you want to take a look at my progress: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...GS750E-Project

Comment

Figure out how much you spent ($450) plus how much you are going to spend to make it the type of transportation you want. They you should be able to answer if you think it is worth it. If you spend another $1000 then the initial $450 doesn't see much that much. If you got it to run for the price of a $50 battery then you are into it $500 for a running bike, hard to beat that unless someone gives it to you or it is in horrible condition.

So it is all about the condition and what you want it for. That is what drives the extra money you will have to spend. It is all very much situation dependent.

Comment

Well I can tell you now that I've already put in $1300 of new or lightly used things/parts. For me, that seems cheaper it retrospect because I'm learning how to do work on a motorcycle, and it will be my own. I'm already very proud of what has come out of it, and will continue to work on it. I don't plan on ever selling it either because I know I'll never make my money back, which I would want to keep my first "tuition bike" anyways. Also, with what I've put into it, I know all the work I've done to it, and even a $2500 newer used bike I wouldn't know what the PO ever did to it. To me, that's what makes it worth the investment.

Comment

My story is exactly the same. I picked up my 850GL for a pittance and spent waaaaaay more than any reasonably sane person should fixing that thing up. And it still looks like a ragged-out crappy L model for all my efforts. But I bought it to learn on and it has taught me a lot. I even still have work left to do on it... Head gasket leaks and is due for a replacement. I have all the parts, all I need now is time.

Took it out for a spin yesterday and realized that I'm probably never going to part with it. It's just too much fun to ride.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. I know my girl won't be perfect, but it will be fun to ride and reliable when I get finished with it. Why would I want to sell something I put my heart and soul into? No point to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X