New member with GS650E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with GS650E

I just picked up a 1981 GS650E on Tuesday. This is my first motorcycle but my dad has been riding since the 60's so I've been around them my whole life. The bike ran when I picked it up but only with the choke out. Currently I have the carbs pulled apart for a proper cleaning. Here she is:

And another of her stripped down:

I'm an engineer so I love tinkering and taking things apart (especially cars) to make them better so I'm pretty comfortable working on it.

Nice bike. Are you in NJ, by any chance?

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      Chain drive 650 do not show up very often.

Nice..."i am an engineer"...and the first tool i see is a hammer. haha.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Framing hammer, no less. Excellent.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd have the dude sit in the truck if he showed up with that hammer on a framing job. Nice bike I like it alot.
          81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Originally posted by yank View Post
            I'd have the dude sit in the truck if he showed up with that hammer on a framing job. Nice bike I like it alot.
            I'd send him home...........Nice bike!
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You got to love the 650E. Nice motorcycle.
              This is the only hammer you'll find in my shop.
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm from Michigan actually and sorry if I forgot to clarify... I am an (Electrical) engineer and I find framing hammers ideal for setting screwdrivers into stuck screws lol

And thanks for all the complements guys, I did a lot of research on these 650 chain drives and I had to have it
                Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                  I'm from Michigan actually and sorry if I forgot to clarify... I am an (Electrical) engineer and I find framing hammers ideal for setting screwdrivers into stuck screws lol

And thanks for all the complements guys, I did a lot of research on these 650 chain drives and I had to have it
                  Thanks. I was in contact with a local seller about an identical GS650E but he never responded and then the listing was pulled, so I thought maybe you had purchased it. Congrats on the ride.

Comment

Clean bike and nice pipe. Is it stainless ? It is somewhat unusual . Since you are EE you should breeze through a couple of links. Gs stator and gs charging health in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Clean bike and nice pipe. Is it stainless ? It is somewhat unusual . Since you are EE you should breeze through a couple of links. Gs stator and gs charging health in my signature.
                      These are exactly the links I've been looking for thank you! The previous owner did a chop job of eliminating the clutch start and I need to clean it up.

Also, I'll check on the exhaust when I get home today. I'm pretty sure it is stainless but I'll let you know what I find out
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

So the exhaust is definitely looks stainless not chrome plated but it has no branding on it that I can see. I'm going to pull it off tonight to check the exhaust gaskets (I have a ticking noise that sounds like an exhaust leak) to see if there is branding somewhere. Could be V&H

Comment

The previous owner did a chop job of eliminating the clutch start and I need to clean it up.
                          How can you possibly botch up that job?

You simply undo two pairs of connectors then plug two of the loose ends back into each other.

Even an EE can do that job.

No hammers of any type necessary, just a Phillips (ok, JIS) driver to remove the headlight bucket.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            How can you possibly botch up that job?

You simply undo two pairs of connectors then plug two of the loose ends back into each other.

Even an EE can do that job.

No hammers of any type necessary, just a Phillips (ok, JIS) driver to remove the headlight bucket.

Hah good one! I think he got it to work but he just taped the wires together with electrical tape and it looks like garbage.

Comment

What you need is an impact wrench between the hammer and the screw. LOL
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X