Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from NH!

Why hello there!
    My name is Mitchell, I'm 19y.o. from New Hampshire, and this is my first time on the forum. Last year I scooped up a 1985 gs 550e with 25k that was for sale in somebody's yard down the street for me. I paid $800 for it. It had new tires and brakes when I got it. I replaced the fork seals, stator, intake boots, and had a shop go through the carbs for me. Every time I ride this bike I fall in love with it more!

Now if only I could figure out how to upload a picture from my iphone...

Great bike in its day. The first 550 to run low 12 second quarter miles, as I recall. Its a cool bike, even though most people don't know it. Kind of a secret. Enjoy the heck out of it, and welcome. in '83, Cycle World tested the 550ES and ran 12.39 at 105.75. Top speed in a half mile was 124 mph. By any standard, that is not slow. They don't have much of a fpllowing, but in my opinion, they should. They could spank a GPZ550, but the GPZ gets all the glory.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      Great bike in its day. The first 550 to run low 12 second quarter miles, as I recall. Its a cool bike, even though most people don't know it. Kind of a secret. Enjoy the heck out of it, and welcome. in '83, Cycle World tested the 550ES and ran 12.39 at 105.75. Top speed in a half mile was 124 mph. By any standard, that is not slow. They don't have much of a fpllowing, but in my opinion, they should. They could spank a GPZ550, but the GPZ gets all the glory.
      Haha don't tell me how fast it goes! It goes fast enough, that's all. I really enjoy how quick it is and how high the redline is. Above 6k it screams (for a 550)

Comment

The biggest issue with this series is the ignitor. Keep your fingers crossed it doesn't crap out on you. Hard to source, and expensive when found NOS. The other issue I have seen is the seat leaves a little to be desired for people not much heavier than me (165lb soaking wet)

I enjoy my 550es. It's been a hoot, but I don't have it on the road this year due to the high cost of insurance here. Hopefully, that will soon be remedied as I am about to get a new-to-me left side panel (complete with fuel door that the 84-86 didn't have) which will complete the graphics package and allow me to register it as a collector (along with my 650 when I recover the seat)

Uploading from phone = difficult. I use links to Photobucket when necessary
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Welcome to the group, from another NH-ite!

Comment

Working...
          X