Nz gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nz gs

Second post here... The first was hopefully useful to the OP around fitting USD forks to a GS thou.

I'm currently bikeless. We moved to NZ from the UK about 2 years ago, and I'm just starting to get (the important!) things sorted. While in the UK I had several GS-series bikes:

GS550. It had a 620cc kit, JMC arm, Astralite wheels... Nice bike, and my introduction to 4-cylinder Suzukis.

A GS650 Katana. Y'know the one... It was OK - actually, as a reliable mode of transport it was superb - but didn't really light any fires.

An '84 GSX750 Katana, the one with the gold frame. Oh yes... D'you know, I really don't remember what it was like to ride? Does it matter? There's never been another bike that looked like this.

A GSX750F. I bought this in the UK the day before VAT went up to 17.5%. According to the invoice, I actually bought it 2 days before as you weren't allowed to buy vehicles on a Sunday. I loved that bike - it handled well, went well, I liked the looks. It took me all over Europe, saw some speeds that were frankly ludicrous (and well outside theoretical maximum speed) and never, ever let me down. A Volvo estate caused it's demise.

A Wiseco 1201 kitted GSXR1100WN. Last of the oil-cooled bikes... Wow. Rocketship, yet comfortable and reliable. Superb.

And the GS1000s (small 's' - plural).
    The first was an import to the UK from the US, and pre-dated release of the GS1000 in the UK. Piranha ignition, flat bars, ex-CB900 race pipe (with Yoshi-esque cut in the rear part of the frame).
    The second... Had pretty much the works before I got it. USD forks, Metmachex swing arm, but a more-or-less standard engine (if you ignore the Dynojet kit and GS1000S airbox).
    The third: my race bike. I rode it in Earlystocks. That was fun.

Back to the present and I've been looking around. GS1000s aren't cheap here, but I've found a 1980(ish) GS1000G in need of some tlc and a new home. Aside from needing threads for cam cover and header pipes re-tapping, info received from the seller includes:
    • stored two years
    • head been off about 2 months
    • 4 into 1 exhaust in OK condition - not great
    • fuel is clean but he's sure there may be a little rust in the tank, but nothing major
    • head removed and found number 3 exhaust valve was burnt more than the others - previous investigation showed not carbs or coils so off with the head [number 3 wasn't firing properly]
    • good compression
    • replaced the starter clutch - was a problem when he bought the bike
    • starter clutch cover has temp repair
    • pistons, rings, bores, bottom end, all good
    • did not use oil or over heat
    • done a lot of road trips on it so know how she rides "and it's beautiful" - the box is excellent, shaft is quiet and smooth
    • brakes are OK - the front ones may need to be replaced but nothing evidently wrong; back brakes also OK and work well, shoes seem fine
    • wheel bearings are all OK - bike is easy to move and push around [still worth checking properly imho]
    • rear tyre is new, front is worn
    • still has centre and side stands
    • charging is working fine but needs a battery [doesn't have one]

The seller has "a set of four new used inlet valves."

A good GS1000E goes for upwards of NZ$4500 here - this one is available for less than $1200. I'm not afraid of a project, but I think this needs to be a little cheaper. OK, in the US (or the UK) it'd sell for much less, but I'm living where supply and demand rules. (For instance, a complete basket-case - non-running, boxes of bits - 1987 GSX1100 just sold for over NZ$1400.)

Anyway, whether this becomes mine or not, I think another GS1000 is in my not-to-distant future!

Cheers,
    Graham

Would it be prohibitive to import something? A mate of mine just sent some bikes to NZ from UK.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Import is possible, but the costs associated with it negate any benefits. The only time it really works is in bulk, or as a personal import of your own goods; otherwise, the shipping, insurance, and taxes can double whatever the purchase price was.

Using some fairly arbitrary figures, a US$2000 bike will cost nearly NZ$2500.
      Assuming shipping at US$1000 (I've no idea if this accurate, but based on shipping a car doesn't seem seriously unreasonable) this is nearly NZ$1250.
      And I'll be looking nearly $600 of taxes and duties.

That's over NZ$4k for a bike I've not seen.

Personal imports of goods already owned work out cheaper as you avoid the duties and taxes.

It's little more difficult or expensive to ship 2 bikes in a crate, when compared to one. I just don't have the funds available to do that!

Comment

GS1000's are around in NZ - but not in great numbers now. And they've become collectible too...

welcome to the site and where in NZ are you ?

Comment

Hi Greg!

We're in Te Kauwhata, about midway between Hamilton and Auckland. Are you local?

I've seen some really nice GS1000s, but they do command some fairly serious money now. Most that come up for sale seem to be those that have been stored for a while, and may (or may not) be a good buy.

Frankly, there seems more of a ready and reasonably priced market in NZ for oil/air cooled GSXR1100s at the moment, but I'm sure that'll not last. And given I'm old enough (now) to not be fussed about wrapping my bike in a plastic fairing, and given I prefer a slightly more upright riding position, buying a GSXR and fitting flat bars doesn't seem quite such a great idea!

WC GSXR1100s also seem cheaper than good GS thous...

Comment

I'm in Hororata - about 1/2 hour West of ChCh - or if you prefer, on the western end of the Greendale fault....

I seem to be the go to person for South Is post classic guys with GS's - both race and road. I do hear of the occasional one for sale so will add you to the list of people wanting one....
            Best you can do is watch TradeMe or go along to a race meeting at Hampton Downs where the posties are running and ask around.

Comment

Doesn't sound like I'll be popping in for a cuppa any time soon! If you're up this way, let me know.

Hampton Downs is at least, oh, 10 minutes away. If I take my time. I'm trying to keep an eye on what happens there, while helping a friend with his Hyosung Cup bike and his Laverda.

If the G can be had economically enough then I'll happily take it on. If nothing else, it'll give me a chance to become reacquainted with them - it's been a while. The G may be a bit different to a chain-driven model, but there's no reason why it can't still be fun.

Comment

Working...
              X