New GS Owner in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner in Canada

Have already learned a lot from this site, figured I would become a member and introduce myself.

I have a varied bike ownership history. Racebikes, vintage, everything in between. I found myself looking for something older, cheaper, and more comfortable for my girlfriend passenger than our SV1000S. I was wanting shaft drive as well, I have enough bikes with chains that need constant attention.

I found my GS-G locally and snatched it up. 37k on it. Owner was a middle aged guy who moved on to a Harley.

It looked like this when I rode it home.

As nice as the 'Jammer was in the wind, I couldn't stand the look of it.

My apologies for photo quality. Still need to swap over the rear signals.

The bike ran and rode perfectly on our first ride. However the other day when I geared up and was ready for another trip, I noticed the petcock had been leaking fuel badly. The airbox had lots of fuel in it, filter element soaked, and I believe some made its way into the crankcase.

In the interest of having everything sorted, I've ordered carb boots, clamps, filter, oil filters, plugs, a valve cover set to repair a little weeping (and adjust the valves), and all the necessary seals for a minor fork leak. And will be acquiring a new petcock of course. I'll find some weatherstripping to seal the box back up, some PO used caulking

I have two questions. One, has anyone found a suitable manual petcock? I don't have the best luck with vacuum units....

Two, I'd like to change the brake hoses, if possible over to stainless. I have no issue buying the OEM units, but I do love the feel, looks, and longevity of stainless. Are there any available?

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to many years on this machine.

Dave
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2014, 12:01 PM.

Welcome here Dave.
    Picture quality is just fine!
    Is that a Manitoba plate I see?

Comment

Indeed it is. The land of motorcyclists vs the insurance monopoly. Hoping to get in on Collector status with this machine.

Comment

Hi ya, Dave.
        Where does one roadrace in Manitoba? Do you head to the States?
        Apex or Rennsport[the same place] in Toronto is a great place for brake lines. Top quality, fast service and the postage should not be too bad.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Buy an OEM petcock from your Suzuki dealer.
          Should be under $100
          Money well spent.

Comment

Roger. Ordered

Guess I will try and keep it as pristine as I can. (the fuel valve lol)

Comment

Welcome aboard. Yea that fairing was a bit of a monstrosity , but there must be an alternative 1/4 fairing like the Cooley replica would still be cool.

Comment

Nice machine, it sounds like you know what your doing with it. Enjoy!
                Hondas
                '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                Suzuki
                '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                Kaw
                '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Hey, I now own this bike. Thanks Dave, it's awesome. She now has new fork seals and is safetied. Looking forward to building it up going forward.

Comment

Always good to see a new owner post up, especially neat that you did it in the original thread for the bike. Welcome to the site and lets see some pics.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                    X