80 gs1000gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs1000gt

Hi, ive posted a few times about various tech stuff. Im curious about changing out my handlebars for drag bars. Is it easy to do? I also like the "café" look of the seat flat. How can I do that?

The stock seat on that bike is flat. Your seat has been reshaped at some time in it's life. You can either find a new seat for it on ebay, or get some high density foam, a new seat cover, and have at it yourself.

I put Superbike bend bars on my 1000G, and like them tremendously. Unless you have really long arms, drag bars (i.e. straight bars) might not be the best choice, unless you want a riding position where all your weight is on your wrists.

Changing the bars out isn't hard, but you'll have to get shorter cables, otherwise there will be a lot of slack that can cause functional issues.

Here's my bike with the stock seat and lower bars:

sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Great Bike

I did 66,000 Kim's in two years on my GT,after I changed the bars to Yamaha RD 350 LC items,which rise about 3".I also got 20,000 Kim's from a rear Metzler Marathon tyre,which are still made,but not sure if in the 17" 130's.Happy Riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Unless you have really long arms, drag bars (i.e. straight bars) might not be the best choice, unless you want a riding position where all your weight is on your wrists.
        Like Kjartan.
        He was about dead a couple times in our 370 mile day to the Brown County rally.

And like this after just a couple hour the next day.

And the next day

And the ride home.

But, then again, maybe you are not concerned about the characteristics of actually riding it.

Hard part of changing bars is pulling - prying - sliding off the grips.
        Don't bolt the new bars in place till get the things mounted back on. may need the movement to get the things over the end of the bar.

Last edited by Redman; 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

drag bars

ok thanks for the advice. Im still trying to find shorter cables. Are they just aftermarket that I have to measure myself? The cables im finding are the stock replacements.

Comment

drag bars

also is there a way to relocate/eliminate the kill switch and starter button? I want to clean up the bars as much as possible. Id like to get aftermarket displays too.

Comment

Working...
            X