Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bike for a new(er) rider. 1980 gs850 in BC

Hey guys!
    first things first, a big thank you to all the people who contribute to this forum. You have already been a huge resource to me.

I recently purchased a gs850 from CL and in my noobness didn't realize the amount of work that would be necessary to get it into decent shape. So far I have done some basic work to it, carb clean/teardown/rebuild, stator replacement, and a couple other odds and ends like plugs, air filter etc...

I feel that there is a long hard road of bashed knuckles, frustration, and lessons learned the hard way, but every time I get to take it for a ride I am reminded why I keep on going!

I look forward to learning a ton about bikes with you guys!

I keep an instagram to show progress of the bike through every step if any of you are interested http://instagram.com/gs850tracker
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM.

Hey welcome aboard!!
    Nice bike you have there too.
    Where in BC are you? Lots of BC boys here on the site.

Cheers,

Trevor
    No signature

Comment

If only it ran as good as it looks! The next project is a top end rebuild, gaskets, valves, rings. The works!

I'm currently in the Surrey/Langley area.

I hope to sort out these mechanical issues and move into the fun stuff. Customization and tweeks to make it my own.

Comment

Hi there! I have the same bike. It's a blast to ride, isn't it?

Why the top-end rebuild? If it's not leaking oil and still goes down the road, there may be no need to tear into it, the 8-valve engines are extremely robust.

Welcome!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It leaks like a sieve all along the head and the gasket above the crankcase, the valves desperately need to be done and it seems like the right time to tackle it. Also, I am ending up with a fair amount of gas in the crankcase which has me worried. I have to change the oil every couple hundred kM to keep it moving while I wait for parts to arrive in the mail.

I absolutely love the bike though, I stare at it and just see oodles of potential. Sometimes I'm out for a ride and catch myself wondering if something that awesome could even be real. The feeling of wind and cold and corners has taken over my brain and gotten me addicted! I get bugs in my teeth every ride.

The best part is I know it's only going to get better as work on the bike and I make the bike better.

Freakin love this bike.

Comment

Welcome here, glad to have you aboard.
            Head down to your Suzuki dealer and plunk down your cash for a new OEM petcock. Will be money well spent! Forget aftermarket or rebuild kits.
            Should solve your gas in the oil issues.

Comment

Just ordered the petcock!

Comment

Originally posted by gs850tracker View Post
                ......... Also, I am ending up with a fair amount of gas in the crankcase which has me worried. .....
                Have not left it on PRIme have you?

Originally posted by gs850tracker View Post
                ,,,,,, The feeling of wind and cold and corners has taken over my brain and gotten me addicted! ........
                oh.
                I recognize that.
                Welcome to motorcycling.
                Welcome to GSR.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

@redman the prime appears to be broken in to the on position. It spins freely round and round. Also the diaphragm has a hole in it.

I bought a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                  X