New GS Owner - 1982 GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner - 1982 GS1100GK

New to the GS world. Picked up a running 1982 GS1100GK a few weeks ago. Got a good deal...i think. 51k on the clock. The bike is complete and everything works, even the radio. The pipes are in surprisingly good shape. It does have minor wear and tear, the crash bars and fairing edge are scuffed up from original owner. All the plastic parts (fairing/bags/side covers) have peeling clear coat. Came with the original manual (with lots of maintenance notes!!!), spare set of carbs, extra set of springs, etc. The bike has already had the stator and rectifier replaced, so that is a head start.

I plan to ride it as is for awhile. I am quite tempted to strip it down to a naked bike over the winter, like the GS in the last picture below. I would tear it down, lose the fairing/bags/crash bars/pipes/etc, get a nice 4 into 1 pipe and rejet. I would also polish all the remaining chrome/alloy parts. Feel free to add input here on whether or not I'm crazy. Should I just start w a non-GK bike if the end goal is a naked GS? Are the GK's 'desirable' enough to just leave it intact?

I initially wanted to have the functionality of a touring and naked bike, as in being able to throw the fairing and bags on only for long trips. Looking into it, that seems like that would be a bit cumbersome. The bags actually dont hold much, I have a sissy bar Saddleman that will hold about the same amount. And when you pull the front fairing, you have to get a different headlight, turn signals, mirrors, etc. So I think, if I do turn it into a naked bike, I'll just get a windshield for long trips and call it good.

That was probably a bit much for a first post! Glad to be here guys, looks like this is a solid forum w lots of info!

Welcome !!!
    I like the GK just how it is...but...I'm a bit biased. You already have the difficult to find parts, the fairing mirrors, lower front fairings and the exhaust.
    If you wanted a naked bike, you should just get a GS 1100G, it's the same bike without the bags....just saying......although, it is pretty easy to convert the GK into a naked bike with some turn signals and a headlight.

Enjoy the Mighty GK !!!!!!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Looks like you found a nice GK that is still a complete GK.

Those did not sell well when new (I have heard), so were not that many to start with, and most of them these days have been dee-kayed due to crash damage or, as you said, someone got it that would rather not have had that.

I searched for 2 years, over 400 mile range, before I found the one I got.
      Would find one every few weeks, but either bad condition, or dee-Kayed, or auction end early, or CL listing dropped or whatever.

Yah, ride it as it is for awhile, especailly wait for a few cool fall days, and ride long distance, before you decide what to do with it.
      You will find that you can ride longer, in cooler weather than you could before, and then hence can ride during more of the year.

When I first got the GK, I was not completely convinced that I would be happy with such a large fairing. Was about the 2nd week I had it, one day, after riding, say half hour, on a trip, I stood up on the pegs to stretch my legs ... and about got blown over ... wow, what was that?
      oh, Guess I forgot real quick what the wind blast was like. Guess I did not miss that at all.

Last weekend I rode 1100 miles in four days. I was a little tired and sore, (not bad for me being 60+, I thought.)

F Y I
      What you have there is a GS1100GKZ. THe Z meaning 1982.

Not a gk2 which would be a late 82 that is like an 83

Last edited by Redman; 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi BackinBlack_82GK.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice GK you have there. I think you should ride it and leave it as is. If you want a naked bike then sell the GK and get the one you really want.

Last edited by Highway_Glider; 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM.
        Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
        1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Welcome aboard. I suggest that you keep it original and discover how much you enjoy it that way. Then, if you want something similar but alot lighter, find a G or E w/o a windshield. Doing both worked very well for me
          However, regardless of what you do, check the splines in the rear drive ASAP. Clean and lube them with hi content moly grease while they're accessible.
          Good luck and safe riding with it,
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
          X