Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey folks. Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm a new rider (just got my license 2 weeks ago) and I bought a GS850L as my first bike. It's a lot of machine for a newbie, but I love it so far. I ride every day rain or shine.

I found this forum because I was having a problem with my battery going flat overnight and wow you guys know your stuff. I'm not the most technical guy but I hope with this kind of information I can learn a lot!

I reside in Columbus Ohio and would love to hear about good rides in the area.

Anyway that's about it, going to try and post a picture of my bike but not sure if it will work.

Congrats on the new bike. Looks like it was well cared for. You may want to review the threads in the electrical areas and go through the "stator papers" in the home page section called in the garage. Probably need to clean up the wiring connectors and check the battery out as a minimum. Good luck with it and welcome to the GSR. Ray

Originally posted by Wracked View Post
    Hey folks. Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm a new rider (just got my license 2 weeks ago) and I bought a GS850L as my first bike. It's a lot of machine for a newbie, but I love it so far. I ride every day rain or shine.

I found this forum because I was having a problem with my battery going flat overnight and wow you guys know your stuff. I'm not the most technical guy but I hope with this kind of information I can learn a lot!

I reside in Columbus Ohio and would love to hear about good rides in the area.

Anyway that's about it, going to try and post a picture of my bike but not sure if it will work.

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

That appears to be in pretty good condition. Good for you. Are the charging issues taken care of?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Welcome from NEO.

Comment

Hi, Wracked! wow, that is a nice bike! And you "did good" posting the picture too! I dig that two-tone colour scheme!
          Take it easy out there on the road. Most new riders do, but it's when you think you have it figured; that's when it'll get dangerous.

Comment

Welcome fellow 850GL owner. Be sure you don't miss the Mega Welcome, your starting point for everything you need to take care of that machine: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=196338

Make sure you catch up on all the regular maintenance. Unless you know the PO, don't trust him/her when they said something was done recently; do it yourself and know for sure.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I haven't solved the charging problem to my satisfaction yet, but I figured I would try to work it out from all the excellent resources on this site. For now the bike runs fine as long as I keep the RPMs high and don't let it idle for long periods of time.

I will admit that the looks really sold me on the bike, that two tone paint is beautiful and the bike is pretty close to mint. There are a few small chips in the paint in the front of the tank but otherwise it's looking pretty good for '82 with 30,000 miles on it.

I am enough of a newbie to still be a bit scared on the road. I ride very carefully and wear my protective gear. I figure I've been driving for quite a few years but only been riding for about a month so it's going to take some time before I am proficient.

I know the PO (previous owner I'm guessing?) really didn't do much maintenance on the bike this year. He bought a Harley this spring and wasn't riding the GS at all. So far I've topped up the fluids and changed the plugs since they looked corroded. Unfortunately I don't have a manual but I figure this site is a great place to find out what else I need to do.

Here's one more picture since I love showing off my new baby

Comment

I figure I've been driving for quite a few years but only been riding for about a month so it's going to take some time before I am proficient.
                Yeah, it's going to take the rest of your life.

I'm pretty new to riding myself, just started about a year and a half ago. One thing I've gleaned from hanging around these old timers is that you're never "done" learning how to ride. Just when think you've seen it all, you eventually happen across a new and interesting way to nearly get killed.

If you really want to get good at riding and learn some potentially life-saving skills, I've seen it recommended to spend some time on a dirt bike.

I know the PO (previous owner I'm guessing?) really didn't do much maintenance on the bike this year. He bought a Harley this spring and wasn't riding the GS at all. So far I've topped up the fluids and changed the plugs since they looked corroded. Unfortunately I don't have a manual but I figure this site is a great place to find out what else I need to do.
                Don't have a manual?! Then you haven't worked your way through the Mega Welcome yet! Here's a direct link to the Suzuki service manual: http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...nual_HiRes.pdf

Go to section 3, the one titled "Periodic Maintenance". Especially pay attention to the valve (tappet) clearance check. And I would throw in "rebuild the entire brake system" as well since yours is still rocking the original brake lines. Some of this stuff, it's hard to tell what's been been neglected over the past 30 years or so without digging in and checking it out.

Check over the rest of BassCliff's site for full tutorials on other things you'll likely want to take care of eventually as well: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

That's a good looking bike and she will certainly take care of you if, and only if, you take care of her first.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Looks like nice condition L.
                  Has had most of the L modifified out of it by having more standard bars.

Was a posting a while back about great roads / routes in SE Ohio. Will see if I can find it.
                  S.E. Ohio is known for great rides.

Last edited by Redman; 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I started riding street bikes in 1975. Just a suggestion: skip the rain days.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                      X