NJ Newbie here - 1983 GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ Newbie here - 1983 GS1100G

Hi all. I just picked up my first bike yesterday. Its a 1983 Suzuki GS1100G with 13k miles. I had been looking for an inexpensive starter bike for a few months now and came across this guy in a small parking lot with a For Sale sign on it. After talking to the owner a few times over the phone and via text, I went to go look at it in more depth last night and take it for a test ride. It came home with me!

The bike shows its age, but is in really good shape for a 31 year old. Its a little choppy when you first get going, but after it warms up, it smooths out. I'm thinking the carbs need cleaning and syncing.

I'm a straight up baby when it comes to riding. I've ridden scooters on vacations and a small dirt bike like once or twice many moons ago.

I'm hoping to learn a lot about the bike from everyone here.

When I saw her for sale...

Loaded and on the way home!!

Very nice. Carbs and valve adjustment ASAP.

Comment

That's pretty clean. How much did you pay for it?

Comment

$700. It was a steal! I'm only the 3rd owner...

Comment

Welcome to the site, and good luck with the cycle....It looks good. We're practically neighbors......well youre the closest GSR member to me anyway.....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I do not consider an 1100 a starter bike for anybody. But a good buy for sure.

Comment

Welcome! Very fine $700.00 bike. It'll stretch your arms if you let it.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Very nice bike, pretty decent deal. But aside from being relatively cheap, this is one of the worst beginner bikes I can think of. It's heavy and powerful. It will not give you many second chances. And as a new rider, the odds are not in your favor.

My advice: Put this one in the back of the garage for at least a year (preferably two) and pick up a used mid-range bike instead. Maybe even a dual-sport that you can take off-road now and again. There are Suzuki GS twins that make perfectly cromulent beginners bikes. They will teach you how to ride and wrench at the same time. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvYM2Z0usMg

Have you taken the MSF's Basic Rider Course?

Welcome to the site (and the wonderful world of motorcycling) and don't miss BassCliff's Mega-Welcome over in the "GS Owners" forum. That's the starting point for everything you need to know about owning and maintaining your new beast.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Eil and Wymple do have a good point. A cheap dual sport could be tons of fun near you or down in the Pine Barrens.....We used to spend a lot time in the Forked River/Manchester area riding offroad......
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will be taking basic rider course very soon. I appreciate the concern for this being my first bike, but I plan on taking it very easy at first and easing my way into longer and longer rides. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a smaller bike though...

Comment

If a GS1100 is a starter bike than what is an ending bike? Are you going to upgrade from this to a heavy, slow v- twin someday? This is a good bike you have. Get the maintenance caught up and learn how to ride it, could be the last bike you'll ever want or need

Comment

There is an excellent chance that the PO who replaced the exhaust system did not jet for the new pipe. You may get the job.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I don't think it was either.. I'm happy to keep it as long as it lasts. It rides great, but I'm guessing it would ride a lot better once rejetted.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Welcome to the site, and good luck with the cycle....It looks good. We're practically neighbors......well youre the closest GSR member to me anyway.....
                            I'm neighbors with both of you guys - I'm right in manalapan... Nice starter bike - looks good

Comment

Awesome! We should get together for a ride...

Comment

Working...
                              X