I have two problems!! help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two problems!! help please!!

I recently aquired a 1979 GS1000E and i have a few issues i would like to address before i screw it up royally.

1) when i rev the bike in neutral and let off i hear a buzz on the side of the clutch housing. its only when i let off and sometimes when i am shifting it makes the buzz also when i disengage the clutch.

2) when i am riding the bike sometimes at low speed, but mostly at around 55mph and up (when i am trying to keep a steady speed) it surges and also sputters.

I am new to the bike so i am ready to start working on it, however i just need a direction to start my process.

Thanks All.

My guess for problem #2 is carbs. Note that a certain amount of steady throttle surge is considered normal for my bike ('82 1100e), and might be for yours also.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

there is a large bolt in your clutch housing that is natorious for coming loose, it "might" be that, or it might be something else. It's often refered to as "clutch rattle" but you usually hear it as a rattle when the bike is idling in neutral, and pulling the clutch in makes it go away. A buzzing sound could easily be a loose heat shield that is down under the clutch cover. Surging and sputter could be a number of things, you need to get familiar with the bike and start to do some routine maintenance. Download a manual from Cliffs site if you don't have one already and start doing some reading on the site, the search function will give your reading for weeks. Glad to hear you're willing to work on your own bike, it's the best way.

Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I appreciate the info guys and i will have to get in the clutch and find out where the rattle is coming from. also i am seeing there is residual gas in the carbs so i am assuming it is running rich. i also looked at the spark plugs and i am seeing a lot of black carbon build up which from what i am reading is a sign they are fouling. i am also hearing a good bit of clicking in the top in which is telling me i need to get in and adjust the timing and check the valve clearances which is going to be a chore being that i have never opened an engine although i like to think i am pretty handy when it comes to wrenching. Either way quick question could you tell me about the clutch housing a little, and tell me if it is a wet clutch and so i need to drain the oil or is there clutch fluid? also can anyone point me to a specific place to learn how to sync the carburetors?

thanks all

Comment

Hi,

Old bikes LOVE maintenance and yours needs lots of it. All of it has to be done in order to have a happy motorcycle. Let's get started.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2014, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Cliffs site has all the info you'll need. About the clutch noise, don't go into the clutch area until you are sure it's not coming from somewhere else and you make sure it a problem you actually need to deal with. These old bikes can make all kinds of noises that are 'normal' for them. You have a wet clutch, if you don't want to drain the oil you can simply put the bike on it's side stand and that angle will be more than enough to drain all the oil to the left side leaving you to pull the cover without any oil coming out. I doesn't sound like you need to though at this point. Again, get a manual and do some reading.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

You have two problems...?

Lot of folks on here have lot here have lots of problems.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Those were my first two now i have tons. Its like that game were the gofers pop up and then you smack them, every time i smack one another pops up.

Comment

Ah yes, one of the joys of owning a vintage bike. Like BassCliff says, getting caught up on all the maintenance is a must for any newly-acquired GS. Once that's done, and any remaining problems are addressed, the bike will most likely be extremely reliable and trouble-free as long as you stay on top of the regular maintenance thereafter.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Open the oil filler on the clutch housing when the motor is running. That will tell you if the noise is coming from in there. The way you describe the noise occurring on the overrun would be consistent with loose clutch basket springs. This is not an immediate problem. Try to eliminate everything else first.

Surging and spluttering: first job is a complete carb strip and replacement of all the 'O' rings including carb to head boots.

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                    X