Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building/equipping a workshop/garage.

It has been a dream since moving to this house, and it's finally happening.

I am in the design phase of building a garage 'out back'. I know what I plan on putting in there, but would like to have some input from others that have done this before.

General specs are:

- 24'x30' floor plan, city zoning has somewhat limited size and shape
    - an overhead door a bit off-center on one of the long sides
    - a walk-through door near a corner on one of the short sides
    - several windows for ventilation
    - some limited storage upstairs in the attic (limited height)
    - will have water, electric, gas and sewer connections, how much of each will be determined later
    - concrete floor, will likely have a drain near the middle

Some of the equipment that I already have or am planning to have in there:
    - bike lift
    - larger air compressor
    - welder
    - media blasting cabinet
    - grinder/polisher (probably more than one)
    - table saw
    - band saw
    - belt/disc sander
    - a better-than-average selection of hand tools

What I would like in the way of suggestions would be general layout of the shop, as in what to keep near what or what not to put near what; size and type of storage (shelves/drawers/bins, etc.). Would also appreciate brand/model recommendations on larger things like lift, compressor and welder.

I will try to get some drawings posted, and can probably send some drawings if someone wants to do some playing with the layout.

More later, for sure.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

If you decide to add more than one bench grinder, with one set up as a polisher, try to keep it separated from all the dirty work tools. Keeping a polisher area clean is better for the pads and parts to not get other metal shavings in them. Just my .02.

Comment

Good point, thanks.

I currently have just one machine, and have to change the wheels.
      The polishing wheels are kept away from the sparks and crud, so I had not thought of that.

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I will also suggest that you don't skimp on the big tools. A good 220V welder will be cleaner and last quite a bit longer than any 110V welder that I have ever seen.

I have an IR 220V twin stage compressor that has NEVER labored to keep up even with 2 or 3 tools being used at once.

If you feel the need to go industrial on the tools and can drive a bit, PM me, I will give you a priceless resource.

Comment

Insulated walls and roof for heat during the colder months - the best work time months in order to avoid missing riding time.

A way to hang curtains to partition off areas - keep the clean bikes separated from the works in progress...

A guest bedroom for when I need more service on my GS850 --
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

You can get electric automotive lifts for around $1500 these days. If this is an option for the future, make sure the concrete floor is deep enough and of the proper strength to support such a lift. Also, check code on that flood drain. Might be an environmental no no... they are allowed here on Long Island only in kitchens and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by qisteve View Post
              You can get electric automotive lifts for around $1500 these days. If this is an option for the future, make sure the concrete floor is deep enough and of the proper strength to support such a lift. Also, check code on that flood drain. Might be an environmental no no... they are allowed here on Long Island only in kitchens and the like.
              Trust me, everything on this project is going to have to be "by the book". I have to give them archetectual drawings for the whole project to even apply for a permit.

With 8-foot ceilings (don't think I could stretch that even to 8 1/2), any kind of auto lift is out of the question. Any cars or trucks that need work will be on the ground or with a floor jack.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
              Insulated walls and roof for heat during the colder months - the best work time months in order to avoid missing riding time.

There will be more insulation out there than there is in my current garage, and you already know how that feels.
              (Shirt-sleeve weather in the garage when it's about 20 degrees F outside.)

A way to hang curtains to partition off areas - keep the clean bikes separated from the works in progress...
              Good idea, that is why I put this out there.

A guest bedroom for when I need more service on my GS850 --
              What was wrong with the bedroom you had?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

The bedroom I had was wonderful --
                And I appreciate the generosity - I was simply acknowledging the fact that you area very gracious host
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thanks. I am now trying to get the bike similar accommodations.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

See if you can add a lean-to on the side of the garage, a covered outdoor area that is good for a parts washer station and dealing with smelly stuff, so you don't contaminate the inside with toxic fumes, maybe it could double as an outdoor area for spray painting small parts etc.

I had one with a work bench and a vice and I used it all the time, maybe I should add one to my new garage.

You can always plan for it and add it afterwards if you don't need it right away.
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Do you intend to do anything other than bike work in it? If so, section that off and make it a clean/dirty sort of environment; it's something Kris and I are wanting to do but haven't gotten the electrical and insulation started yet due to funds on both of our parts. Old kitchen cabinets work well for storage; I wish ours had actual drawer runners though. Build or buy workbenches in multiple areas of the garage not just one or two to help when working on different issues at the same time.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

running airlines for your compressor around the walls, save having hoses all over the floor when working.

Comment

Heated floors. Also, consider putting the air compressor outside. Much, much quieter.

Comment

Hey Steve,

Consider an I beam hoist with a sliding chain support or lift. Frees up floor space.

Also you might want to get one or two of these kits. I just built a workbench from it. Very impressed and easy to make any size you want up to 4' x 8'. 1000 pounds per shelf.

Small corner bathroom?
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I've known a few guys use pvc for this. Lots cheaper.
                              Originally posted by landshark View Post
                              running airlines for your compressor around the walls, save having hoses all over the floor when working.

Comment

Working...
                              X