Kawasaki H2 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki H2 750

Thought Id share my current project. Nothing to extraordinary.
    The bike came to me with many of the mods already done, it was a family members and I was "helping", mostly watching and going on trips with him to get parts (and beer). He started it in 1996 I received it in Jan 2012, it sat in parts in his living room from 1999 till then!
    Ives since changed some things, had some work done to put reeds in it and bought the parts need to finish it.
    Im hoping to have it running next spring but we will see, free time is a premium as you know.

This is how I received it;

Some pics as I was working on it.

Here it is after I "Mocked" it up;

This is how it sits right now;

I just got the cylinders back a couple weeks ago and bought the carbs and new ignition before that.

Ive got to wire the new ignition, cut the reeds into the cylinders, and put it together and see if it will run! Plus a few "minor" things like chain clearances, exhaust mounting, foot pegs and such need to be made right.

Oooooooooh my.....Beautiful. Cant wait to hear it cackle. You will post a video? Pleassse?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Cool project.
      Is that a Lomas exhaust?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Cool project.
        Is that a Lomas exhaust?
        I wish! The exhaust I have is a SpecII and came with the project, there good high mid & top end pipes. I also would love a hydro formed Gibson just for looks, but if I ever decide to get a new exhaust I will order one from a guy who builds custom exhausts he's on most of the triple boards and does a beautiful job and there tuned very well, right now I don't have the $$ for that and I needed other part to get it to run.

I had to shorten the silencers quite a bit to get the exhaust to fit with the modded swing arm. So it should crackle pretty good! Im hoping not to loud and I also hoping it won't affect performance too much.
        I will be posting videos, Ill be like a kid at Christmas once it's running!

Comment

Nice looking project Mr. Joe H!!!! Spec II made a nice set of pipes back in the day. Is that a early model GSXR750 front end on it?? Might want to put the second disc and caliper on the H2. If those are a nicely done set of ported cylinders and with those pipes and if the stock clutch don't slip, you might shocked how strong that motor will be!!!! I never had any luck putting reeds on H2 motors. They made tons of torque, but never let the motor rev much past 7,000. I would try it without putting the reeds in first. If you are not opening up the intake port like what the RD400 cylinders look like. I would not even put them into the stock size H2 intake port.

I always used ATF in my trans, thats what Denco always recommended back in the day when I was building H2's. Still got my '72 H2 in boxes some where. Are those 34mm mikuni's?? If I remember right you have to remove that brass drain tube from the float bowl or the tubes hit the cases. Hope they came with jetting close to what a H2 needs. 6DH7 needles sticks in my brain.

Make sure you use a a good synthetic two stroke oil in the injection, and stay with that same oil. Don't be throwing a quart of this then a quart of that into the oil tank. When you fire it up for the first time hold that oil pump lever wide open until there are no more bubbles in the three oil oil injection lines coming from the pump to the banjo bolts on the cases.

I think you will be amazed when you nail that old two stroke and grab some gears for the first time!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck and have some fun with that bike.

Comment

Good eye! Early 1100 Gsxr. and 34mm Mikunis. Also running a rz350 swinger and a yamaha r6 shock.
            Im going with one disc for now, I have the right size master cylinder for one disk and HH pads and have been told by guys who race theses old beasts that I should be able to do a "stoppie" Problem is they don't know how much I weigh….LOL
            The cylinders are HEAVILY ported and boost ports are cut in. These are small reeds that will flow as much as the 34mm mikunis will allow and it should well exceed the rpm limit of the bike, in fact I've been told to be very careful not to over rev it, one reason I bought the Zelltronic ignition it has a limiter. These reeds are specifically made to go into heavily ported triples and bring back some lower rpm power without sacrificing major power on top. From my research I am hoping to get some where around 90hp at the rear wheel and if I'm lucky and set it up JUST right, There are guys out there using these reeds making that much but they spend allot of time with the porting and head shapes, carb tuning ect.
            There are guys who put the big reed cages on these things and can run 40mm and bigger carbs! They make some serious power. There is one bike out there the guy case reeded and it make 130 hp at the rear wheel and 98ftlbs of torque!!!! At just a tick over 8000rpm!! On a 750 motor!! Amazing stuff.
            We will see when I get it running if it is all true or just rumor……..

Comment

Here is a link to the Hot Rod Homepage. Most of the details about the bike are found here along with a few additional photos... http://hotrodhomepage.com/hrh...

For your listening pleasure unitl yours is done.......This one is way more old school then yours, but i love it too....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMtPmZgbQo
                For your listening pleasure unitl yours is done.......This one is way more old school then yours, but i love it too....
                Ya that thing is SWEET!. It has the same reed kit I will be running, but was running tmx35 mikunis, which i thought of but went the simple route once I get it dialed in Im going to put some UFO in the 34's to see the difference.
                That Guy builds some REALY nice bikes, he's a member on kawasaki triples site I frequent also.
                Here is link to his last build. http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/vi...2087&start=440

My bikes on there too but compared to some of the ones those guys do its a dud! Here is a link to mine;

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                  Ya that thing is SWEET!. It has the same reed kit I will be running, but was running tmx35 mikunis, which i thought of but went the simple route once I get it dialed in Im going to put some UFO in the 34's to see the difference.
                  That Guy builds some REALY nice bikes, he's a member on kawasaki triples site I frequent also.
                  Here is link to his last build. http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/vi...2087&start=440

My bikes on there too but compared to some of the ones those guys do its a dud! Here is a link to mine;
                  http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/vi...hp?f=16&t=7046

read a little of your thread over there...
                  a big name chassis guy here in ohio cuts the necks off and machines new necks for different rake angles and so on/re-stamps your old numbers in the new neck ect..
                  he has a manufacturing permit/license that allows him to do so.
                  all legal and such.
                  i would hate to see you have your H2 registered as a self built 2014 or what ever...that just wouldn't be right.

Comment

All is good, its registered, and insured, I was hoping to ride it this year but delays in parts and $$$ and a vacation to Jerusalem ended that for this year.
                    Thanks for the thought… I appreciate it.

Comment

good deal now paint it factory purple
                      hehe

Comment

Ya…..there are a few things I would have done different but if you read the thread it was my cousins bike, we were best friends most of our lives.
                        He passed away from injures from a motorcycle crash. Brain damage and the kind where you know your a mess, lived 5 years after the crash and died on new years eve 2011/12 he was 49. It was his project and he had ideas,He worked at Buell and loved Buells, Harleys and Kawaskis. Jerry is the one who was with me when I bought my GS 1150, he talked me into buying it. My uncle and his sister Sue gave it to me because they knew/know how close we were! I promised I would finish it and when I do take it to my uncles house first ride. I am actually feeling a bit guilty about the reeds Jerry wold have never reeded it he would have drove it between 6 and 9000rpm all the time, he was just that kinda guy. He lived like every day was his last and when I was younger and at a different point in life so did I. We did everything together for years. I promised myself after I got it I wouldn't change his direction in honor of him. It will be discreetly marked with his name and dates of birth and death, no where people will see it, unless they look.

Anyway thats my silly sentimental story, if it was totally mine I would have left the swinger and factory colors, spoke wheels but its not totally mine in my mind.

Comment

Not a silly story at all. What better way to honor a fallen friend?
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

just finished the thread over there...i see why the color now.
                            good job so far...can't wait to hear the bumble bee's on crack exhaust note

Comment

Thougth Id post a link showing the reed valve stuff. I always find it fascinating when someone puts the time and effort into there own design.
                              Same here on this board with these great GS's , Im amazed at the ingenuity, just wonderful stuff people do to keep up and mod these old bikes!

Comment

Working...
                              X