Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Denmark

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I bought myself an beautiful old GS at a flea market, the price was simply too low for me not to!
    I am completly new to Suzuki motorcycles but not all new to bikes, as I have an old brit bike; a 58' A10 Gold Flash (hope this don't get me into bad standing already!).
    I'm still trying to make out what year and model I've bought, and perhaps someone around here can help me with that. I belive it's either a GSX 400 F or E from the start 80's? It's had a bad DIY black painjob at some point but the underside of the tank is red so I think that may have been the original colour. It has double disc brakes front and drum at the back. The engine number is GS40XF - 124437 as far as I can make out (stamped in the crank case visible from the right hand (timing?) side). I haven't been able to find the frame number as it may have been painted over?

As the imange shows it's in need of TLC and the plan is to cafe it up a little if I can figure out exactly what I want, still undecided. Bit of a project but I can't wait to get started really!
    So I'm probably going to ask a bunch of questions as I go along, but the first priority is to get the engine running I think, as it has been standing in a garage the past 3 years or so.

Regards
    Andreas - Denmark

Welcome to the forum Andreas!
    I am not familiar with that model bike.
    Looks like it will be much fun!
    Andy

Comment

Welcome to the site, Andreas.
      If you can keep an A10 on the road this one will not be a challenge for you to work on.
      Feel free to show us a pic of the '58.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

inline 4 cylinder? I believe it's an '81 GSX400F. The GSX400E is a 2 cylinder bike.But have a look around www.suzuki.org. Here's a link to the gsx400F's
        Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Comment

It is indeed an inline four so it must be the F then, that was my best guess as well although I was puzzled by the dual discs front and drum back.. But I read somewhere that it was an available option to reduce some problems with wobble when braking?

This is my A10.

Comment

Nice Beezer, Larsen!

The GSX400F is a bit rare on here...I remember a couple of rebuild threads that might give you some particular tips for the bike
            Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

A search may find some more.

but there's a lot of useful General stuff on Bass-Cliffs site see the Welcome if you haven't already!!
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and you likely already know about CMSNL parts fiches..
            ✓ Suzuki spare parts for GSX400 Motorcycle. ✓ Swift delivery ✓ Original Suzuki GSX400 parts

Comment

Thanks for the links and compliment! That old beezer is a joy and a pain at the same time... it's unhappy at the moment though, at least it keeps spitting oil at me - but some say it's a sign of good health, I'm not sure I'm convinced....

At the moment I don't have the finance nor space to start anything major, but as soon as I find something I'll start a thread in the project forum and post some pics. For now I'll try and read through the forum posts, great site this!

Comment

Your BSA is a beauty.
                I saw one recently at a vintage bike show that had a 2 piece seat with a small square pad for the passenger and a "springer" rider seat.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ah awesome! Could be a B33 model from the early 50's.. notorious horrible rear suspension when the rear plungers get tired springs - the ride gets bouncy.. reminds me of my parents old Lada

Comment

Working...
                  X