1980 GS750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750e

The journey of my 1980 GS 750e all started out with a$400 rusty locked up bike found in some old mans garage, turned into a fun 13 month transformation into one of my most fun bikes & builds yet.

Details include:
    Mac 4-1
    K&N Pods
    Dynojet stage 3
    Hel SS brake lines (put on after picture)
    Clubman Bars
    Custom Cafe seat with brake and blinkers flush mount integrated
    Hours and Hours of bearing greasing, Soda Blasting, and Powder coating.

More mods to come
    maybe big- bore kit
    hide the battery and wires
    and this winter I want to pull the motor out to powder coat frame satin orange and blast the motor.

But for $1500.00 I have a somewhat 1 off bike that gets more attention than anything else at the local bike nights

Plus this thing is a Blast to ride!!
    Attached Files

Hi Ericeder!
    Man, I'll bet that is a Blast! It looks like you are already an expert and can help others with your experience on this build.

If you haven't already, Be sure to click the welcome link , if only to know what's available in BassCliff's excellent library
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

Comment

one off? yeah, right. none of us has ever seen a half ass cafe before.

Comment

Hey,cmon! He said "somewhat 1 0ff that gets attention at local bike nights". That's hardly the braying of an ass... And his bike would find lots of admirers here too. There aren't that many old Suzukis on the road Period, let alone cafe bikes.
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Beautiful bike you have there! I myself am just getting started with a gs850 cafe build. Didn't happen to document your build progress did you?

Comment

Bet that's light and nimble for sure. Congrats on a job well done, looks super clean. Not sure if I'm a fan of the satin orange thing but it's not my opinion that matters. I can't tell if you painted the tank or if it's polished steel, indulge me. Sure is nice to see people getting into wrenching on these old bikes.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Bike is so much fun to ride, and thanks for the compliments.

As for anyone looking to build their own bike, I would tellthem to try and start with a good platform. If you are not handy and mechanical you do not want to start with a bikethat needs a lot of work. You are betteroff spending $1500 on a bike that runs and has no issues then spending $500 ona bike with locked up carbs and a motor.

But if you are mechanical by all means shoot for pretty muchanything with a title and start chipping away at it. Do not try to rush the job, I did one bikewhen I was 17 where I started with a KZ650 that was just a mess and I spent anentire weekend doing motor work to get it running so I Could ride it to highschool Monday, but i rushed... I forgot to bleed the front brakes so I cameskidding to a stop half a mile down the road (good thing the back brakes workedlol)

Most importantly design a bike around what you want it tolook like, some people will always have negative comments about certain thingsbut those are usually the people who have no imagination, and the ones thatride around on completely stock bikes thinking they are the best things in theworld.

I just put some SS Hel Brake lines on it and I am upgrading to a new oil cooler but as soon as she is running Ill post a video of what she sounds like.

PS having seconds thoughts on the Satin orange frame, may stick with the black.

And the tank is sanded down the bare metal, then sprayed with 3 coats of clear coat.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X