Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambitious Newbie, UK

Hi All,

I'm a mid 20s newbie from Oxford, UK with 3 GS's posting for the first time ever in a forum! I've had my first GS850 for about a year and a half now and having done some small short distance camping tours and love the bike. From the research I've done, I'm pretty sure it's a UK registered '87 GS850G, it was a fairly ropy machine having appeared to live near the coast. Me and my dad have serviced and done a few bits to to get it road worthy and it's pretty reliable but there is definitely more to be done including the introductory list which I'm hoping to use the welcome and newbie mistakes thread for. (I've tried uploading a photo... not sure why it's not working jpg and png format, any tips?).

I bought another non-running "GS850" donor - lots of the wiring was more or less melted and it didn't come with many electrical components or gear linkage but the frame and accessories were pretty decent. I haven't got very far with this but it turns out that the other machine actually appears to be a GS1000 US import judging from 1. the VIN code, 2. the larger outlet on the carbs(indicating larger engine) and 3. the seat doesn't fit my GS850 frame (indicating import?).

Lastly, I have a project GS550(E?) that hasn't been touched much while I've been alive. The frame's been professionally cut down for my mother's shorter legs, the base of a seat made and the engine has had a meticulous nuts and bolts restoration but from there it has more or less been abandoned. My plan is to see the GS550 back on the road running as new with a little custom style due to the chopped frame then move on to one of the other two to create a bulletproof tourer.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions anybody here can give! Particularly looking for reasonably priced and friendly part suppliers in the UK and any more info on finding out more about the GS1000.

Cheers!

First of all,

Originally posted by scubub View Post
    (I've tried uploading a photo... not sure why it's not working jpg and png format, any tips?).
    Host your pictures. Not sure if you might have a "local" preference, over here, we use Photobucket, Picassa, Image Shack and a few others. Try to limit the size of the pictures. A maximum of 1024 by 768 is suggested, but 800 x 600 works well. When you have your pictures hosted, copy the IMG link then just paste it in your message here. No need to click any icons to "insert image" or anything like that, just paste the link.

I bought another non-running "GS850" donor - lots of the wiring was more or less melted and it didn't come with many electrical components or gear linkage but the frame and accessories were pretty decent. I haven't got very far with this but it turns out that the other machine actually appears to be a GS1000 US import judging from 1. the VIN code, 2. the larger outlet on the carbs(indicating larger engine) and 3. the seat doesn't fit my GS850 frame (indicating import?).
    The "larger carbs" might indicate a 1000, but the "different seat" does not.

Did I read that correctly? You have a 1987 model? You had them later than we did, I think that '87 was the last year of manufacture, some of the leftovers were sold as '88s.

The early 850s ('79-'81) had different tanks and seats than the later years, and they shared a frame with the GS1000G. When the tank and seat changed for the '82 model year, they shared a frame with the GS1100G, which was different than the 1000G.

Get some pictures up, we will probably spot enough details to tell you what you have.

Particularly looking for reasonably priced and friendly part suppliers in the UK and any more info on finding out more about the GS1000.
    Can't help you much with local suppliers, but there are SEVERAL of your countrymen on-board here.

Edit your profile to show an approximate location, I'm sure there is someone not too far from you.

While you are editing your profile, create a sig to show what bike(s) you have, that way you won't have to remember to mention them every time you ask a question.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

welcome to the site. post up some pics and we can help identify your bike.
      plenty of good OEM suppliers here in the UK. Robinsons Foundry is a good source for older Suzuki bikes and there is an abundance of OEM parts on ebay.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.
        Here is a picture of my GS850G, although the headlights have been changed for a single lamp now and the improvised twin lamp fairing removed.
        Here is a picture of my suspect GS1000 - a few bits have been removed from it already.
        And here is the GS550E.

Comment

cant see any pics!
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            cant see any pics!
            Did you click on the "here" in each line?

Scubub, your donor bike appears to be an '82, can't see enough clues to determine 850 or 1100. Look at the bottom of the cylinder block, in front of cylinder #1, there should be a size cast into the block.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oh, yeah, didnt see that. WOOHOO........ I CAN SEE!
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Welcome to the site, scubub.
                It is great to see a person of your age enthusiastic about these old GS.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

There's no size number where I would it expect it to be. I can identify it cast onto the GS850 but the number starts U701- on the donor engine block which from the identifier on suzukicycles.org suggests it's somewhere between 1000-1099CC. From the same site, the frame number does indicate that it would be an '82 model.

Thanks all, this seems like a place where I'll be able to find the help I need and hopefully restore these bikes to their former glory... with a tweak or two.

Comment

Hi scubub, I'm a newbie here too. I've just got a GS1000G
                    I'm in Brighton and wemoto are close to me, they sell spares for the GS850G http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/g...z_ge_gg/82-85/ They do mail order too
                    Would you be interested in selling the GS1000G seat ? Mine is not original and I'm on tiptoes with the height it's at

Comment

Hi mushroom,
                      Wemoto are who I've generally been using, they've been a great help so far.
                      I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the frame and seat etc. off the GS1000 because it's in much better condition. Sorry I can't help with this one.

Comment

No worries, I'd still be interested in a seat even if it was just the base and foam if they were in OK condition. I could get a new cover
                        Let me know if you change your mind

Comment

Scubub

The easiest way to determine engine size is to look at the front left of the engine block. There's a rectangle with a number in it. The number is the engine size
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X