Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member/GS owner from Cape Town South Africa

Hi everyone

So after 3 years of dreaming about owning a bike I finally got one! Thanks to the information on this forum I was comfortable buying an older bike. I bought a 1982 Suzuki GS1000G and with it came a full fairing (with some attachment pieces missing I am sure) and panniers. Most of the bike looks to be original - except for the exhaust.

My plan is to slowly restore the GS, but the main priority is to ride. This is my first road bike and wow!

This is what I have learned during the 1000 km I have done so far:
    1) Nothing wipes the smile off your face
    2) If you live in a maritime climate (Cape Town) the weather at your departure point will most probably not be the same at your destination
    3) Even if you check the weather at your destination it will most probably change before you get there
    4) Riding in the rain in traffic is not fun.
    5) Riding in the rain in traffic without wet weather gear even more so.
    6) Even if you are wet, cold and have frozen fingers there is still a smile on your face

Picture taken the day I took delivery

Day 1 Herc.jpg

I will be hanging out in the maintenance and technical sections for the foreseeable future as this is my first mechanical endeavor - ever. So a big thank you to all they guys so willing to help out with advise and sharing their experience.
    1982 GS1000G

Welcome to the forum. That is a fine looking motorcycle you picked up. Did you happen to acquire it from another GSR Member?

There are a few people from South Africa on here. I'm sure they'll be along in short order to say their piece.
    Last edited by BigD_83; 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM. Reason: typo fix
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hi ya.
      Nice looking bike. Cowley pipe?
      Excellent intro with bike info, pic and location.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That is a fine looking motorcycle! I never knew it was possible to be cold in South Africa! so I've learned something from you already.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          Welcome to the forum. That is a fine looking motorcycle you picked up. Did you happen to acquire it from another GSR Member?

There are a few people from South Africa on here. I'm sure they'll be along in short order to say their piece.
          Hi Big D
          Thank you for the welcome. I bought the bike off a guy that was leaving to work overseas - the bike was standing for about a year. Mechanically it seems fine - was just very dirty. Spent a couple of hours so far just cleaning. Why is it that dirt comes off easier on some days and others it seems that no progress was made?

I will track the Saffers down - I think there is one quite close by.
          1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Hi ya.
            Nice looking bike. Cowley pipe?
            Excellent intro with bike info, pic and location.
            Hi Steve

Thanks. How did you know it is a Cowley? It is rusted a quite a bit - not sure if I will recon it or go back to the original set-up. At least now drivers know I am coming through - hahaha
            1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              That is a fine looking motorcycle! I never knew it was possible to be cold in South Africa! so I've learned something from you already.
              Hi Gorminrider

Thank you. Ja, I recon cold is relative. What I perceive as cold might be quite a nice day for you guys but still wet gloves and jeans at speed in any weather has to be chilly, no matter how thick your blood
              1982 GS1000G

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

THis web site forum is a good reason for having a Suzuki (if you are going to have any 1980s bike).

THanks for the introduction.

Originally posted by Exponent View Post
                4) Riding in the rain in traffic is not fun.
                5) Riding in the rain in traffic without wet weather gear even more so.
                That big fairing would help with that.

Last edited by Redman; 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's a gorgeous bike!

Even though I'm not a big fan of shafts, I like your bike.

Please don't put the fairing on. It looks too good without it.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi Exponent

Glad you found this site and welcome to the family! Sorry I did not see your post earlier, but work is getting in the way of pleasure! Thanks to Redman for alerting me to your presence!

40 years ago I also did not mind getting wet when caught in sudden, unexpected downpours going home from UCT to southern suburbs on a little 100cc twin YL1. Nowadays I will never venture out in the rain on a bike - the idiots in cagers around here already go into brain failure mode towards other cagers in the rain, so I will not try it on a bike anymore.

Your bike certainly appears to have been well looked after. You will find all the technical resources needed here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Hope to meet up with you one day!

Ride safe.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Welcome to GSR.

THis web site forum is a good reason for having a Suzuki (if you are going to have any 1980s bike).

THanks for the introduction.

That big fairing would help with that.

Hi Redman - thank you for the welcome. I am in two minds about the fairing. A rain suit is on the shopping list however
                      1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        That's a gorgeous bike!

Even though I'm not a big fan of shafts, I like your bike.

Please don't put the fairing on. It looks too good without it.
                        Hi Rob

I quite like the naked look as well. Also figured out that the tighter you tie on your helmet the less likely it is to squash your nose at speed
                        1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                          Hi Exponent

Glad you found this site and welcome to the family! Sorry I did not see your post earlier, but work is getting in the way of pleasure! Thanks to Redman for alerting me to your presence!

40 years ago I also did not mind getting wet when caught in sudden, unexpected downpours going home from UCT to southern suburbs on a little 100cc twin YL1. Nowadays I will never venture out in the rain on a bike - the idiots in cagers around here already go into brain failure mode towards other cagers in the rain, so I will not try it on a bike anymore.

Your bike certainly appears to have been well looked after. You will find all the technical resources needed here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Hope to meet up with you one day!

Ride safe.
                          Hi 2BRacing

Thank you for the welcome. I drove past you on the 17th! Did Bainskloof pass to Ceres and back the next day (luckily my work allows me to do that ) Love that ride!

I also have a client in Wellington - will inbox you the next time I am heading your way and hopefully we can meet for a coffee.
                          1982 GS1000G

Comment

... .... ....
                            .... .... .... .... .... .... Also figured out that the tighter you tie on your helmet the less likely it is to squash your nose at speed
                            Do some research on "helmet size" or "helmet fit". Possibly your helmet is too big.

I could also say "that big fairing will help with that.", but we know you don't like the fairing.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I am in two minds about the fairing.
                              They can be sawn up into little pieces and shipped quite easily!
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X